1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Keep GX1 or return it and get PM2?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by simonz, Feb 27, 2013.

1. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    I have another week left on the time window to return a GX1 to Amazon. I got it for $299 and it would be a companion to my beloved G5. The IQ is nearly as good as the G5. To make the GX1 usable for me, I'd have the purchase the Pany VF2. As an alternative, for about $449, I could get an Olympus E-PM2, which I could use my Oly VF2. I concerned that the PM2 would be unfriendly to use with my stable of adapted lenses and . But then the IQ of the PM2 is the same as the E-M5 and quite tempting.

Any thoughts on returning the GX1 and going for the PM2?

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    I have just moved over to a combination of G5 and an E- PM2
    Great twin kit and both fit in a medium bag with a lens fitted to each to avoid swapping lenses
    G5 for larger Panasonic lenses and general use
    e-PM2 for unstabilised lenses so that you have the best of both Panasonic and Olympus lenses and ultimate pocketabiity with a pancake fitted
    Superb camera - great colours and low light response - I love the GX1 but its got to be a huge advantage to have a camera from both Panasonic and Olympus stables for the improved lens choice (being able to use unstabilised lenses like the 60mm macro on the E-PM2)
    Regards
    Rob

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Simonz, if you have and use the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 a lot, there can be banding issues at higher ISOs on Olympus bodies. I used that fact as one of many excuses to also pick up the Oly 17mm f/1.8.

In fact, I'd extend that kind of consideration to your entire lens collection. Is it mostly Panasonic or Olympus glass? Yes, you absolutely can use glass and camera bodies from either company interchangably. But I have found when one really pushes to the limits, the Lumix lenses might work just a bit better on Panny bodies and Zuiko glass just a bit better on Oly bodies.

If it's a toss-up, then consider whether the external controls of the GX1 are preferable to you over the menu-based controls of the E-PM2. And finally, will it cost you more to buy the optional Panasonic EVF than buying the E-PM2 (even after subtracting the $299 price of the GX1)? Full disclosure: I own the G5, the GX1 and the E-PM2. I find a place for all in my kit. But that's just me.

4. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    Biro, I forgot about the banding issues with panny on oly bodies. I'm about 50/50 Oly lenses vs Panny. I have the panny: 14, 20, 7-14, and 14-45. And the Oly: 17f2.5, 45,15 lenscap, and 40-150. Of these the panny's gets more use and are favorites. On the wish list is the panny 25. So banding is a worry.

I've seen reports of rattlesnaking issues with Panny lenses on Oly bodies. Geesh, so much for compatibility.

Are there banding issues with the panny 14 and 7-14?

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I am unaware of any noteworthy issues with the Panny 14 on Oly bodies. But I do know there are what has been termed "purple blob" problems with the Panny 7-14 on the Olympus OM-D. I don't know if that issue extends to other Oly bodies with the latest 16mp Sony sensor. Perhaps someone else with first-hand experience can chime in here.