Keep gx1 or gf3 as backup to OMD

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by shepx13, Sep 25, 2012.

1. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    I ended up with both of these on my entry into m4/3. Only need 1 as a backup. I only paid $325 for the gx1 body. Whatever I sell goes back to my future lens fund (probably to a 9-18) so I'd be able to pick up a new lens quicker if I keep the gf3.

So if it were you which one would you keep?

2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Sounds to me like you got a good plan

3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Having a second camera as backup really depends on the application.

Backup as "safeguard" in case the No1 camera develops a problem?

As "secondary function", e.g. daily carry-around camera, P&S substitude, etc?

As "alternate lens" camera if you use primes and readily want to switch between different focal lengths?

As you see an answer is not that clear cut and it depends on your needs. To give you an example, if I were in your position I'd be tempted to sell both Panasonics and get an E-PL5 or E-PM2, in order to have the best possible compatibility between it and the OM-D, with same sensor and same files. Then I'd be able to use the Pen in a variety of situation, including paid assignments where I'd want to rapidly switch between two (prime) focal lengths.

4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    I am in the same situation and I have GX1 , EPL2 and OMD . . I am selling GX1 and keeping EPL2 but having said that , out of GF3 and GX1 , I will definately choose GX1.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

5. I agree that it depends on what your requirements for a backup are. For me a backup camera is one that I carry and use with the lens that I think will be a secondary to my main lens. In that case the backup camera is getting regular use so I want it to be as good a camera as I can justify the expense for, which is why I have kept the Panasonic GH1 alongside my E-M5. I might reconsider that when the E-PM2/E-PL5 are released, although the GH1 still does have some features, controls and handling that I like and aren't found in the two new Oly bodies.

6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Depending on your personal priorities, I'd do one of the following...

#1 - Keep the GX1 - I think this has the best user interface and ergonomics of any of the 'brick' style MFT bodies. This matters a lot to me and is why I wouldn't even consider keeping the GF3. It also has Panasonic's very good 16mp sensor.

#2 - Sell both the Panasonic's and get an EPL5/M2 - simply because the Oly 16mp sensor is fantastic and it means that you will have identical files out of both your primary and secondary bodies (even more so if you're shooting RAW).

7. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    I'm sorry for not clarifying my needs more.

My main move to m4/3 was due to my never having time for paid work any longer. So I sold my D700 and a few lenses. I've kept my 70-200 and 28-75 2.8 lenses for now, in case I decide I'm not happy with my OMD for shooting my kids sports stuff (in which case I would purchase a d7000, d300, etc used)

My "backup" m4/3 camera would be used rarely, and mostly when I wan't to travel really light. I pretty much never feel the need to carry two bodies with lenses attached unless I'm doing a wedding or similar. (and if that were to happen soon, I would probably borrow a nikon body as my second one)