Keep GF2 or get E-PM1 for an IBIS camera?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Jonathan F/2, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've been tempted to get an E-PM1 mainly for IBIS (for low light still photography and use on my adapted lenses). I actually prefer less buttons for this type of camera, plus I think Olympus' GUI design is somewhat convoluted, so the less the better for me. I was thinking selling my GF2 body only and the E-PM1 kit lens. I'd still have the G3 as my main body and this camera will be used by my wife when I'm not using it. Plus it'd put my foot in both m43 camps.

E-PM1 Pros:
    IBIS
    Art Filters
    Olympus jpeg processing

GF2 Pros:
    Built-in pop-up flash
    Touch screen
    Shares same battery as my G3

What do you guys think, worth the trade?

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Just for IBIS, probably not but for Olympus colors - w/o a doubt (I used to have GF2, eek).

3. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Right out of the box GF2 is producing images in standard Panasonic fashion bit cold and definitely not for everyone :wink: But don't give up it can be adjusted easily to your taste! Regarding colors I would recommend to stick with one tweaked WB letting the sun do the trick. Also contrast, sharpening, saturation and noise reduction could be customized for jpeg processing. Personally I don't care about jpg look much, because of RAW processing. However having such tweaked settings in many cases I am getting very similar jpegs to those produced by Lightroom RAW processing. In my humble opinion in-lens stabilization is better than IBIS, but good tripod is far better than any stabilization :smile:

Keep GF2, tweak it, enjoy it :thumbup:

4. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My GF2 is already tweaked on WB and picture settings. They look pretty good out of box. I guess I may skip Olympus until they get a newer sensor, but I'm always tempted to pull the trigger! Darn it. :tongue:

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Do you shoot in jpeg, or in RAW? I'm assuming that you shoot jpeg, since it's more of your snapshot camera and you don't want to deal with any post-processing, but I've been very happy with RAW on my G2. Great colors, and then any art filters and jpeg processor in-camera become obsolete, since I can just process using Lightroom, Photoshop, GIMP, etc. Lightroom especially allows you to quickly output the files, if you want them in JPEG form, plus it provides non-destructive edits. Since you mention that you're also shooting a Nikon D700 and D3, Lightroom is a great product that speeds up your workflow, getting your images out to friends and customers quickly. While typing that, I know that it sounded like a shill, haha, but I really enjoy it. Aperture is a similar workflow editor, but it only works on Apple computers.

Personally, I'd stick with the GF2. I like the controls, and the built-in flash is handy. While IBIS is nice, it's not a deciding feature to switch for me. The E-PL3 seems that it will be a solid upgrade to it (seeing as how the E-P3 is getting gushed over), but not the PM1.

6. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    For the GF2, I shoot mostly jpeg. PP editing isn't a big deal for me, I stick to a Photoshop/Photo Mechanic workflow (it's the old school Sports Illustrated style, don't know if they still use it though). I tried the E-PL3, really nice camera, but since I already have a swivel screen body I want to keep my 2nd m43 camera simple. I feel bad, I haven't put any money in Olympus' pocket, it's just that there hasn't been an Olympus camera that fits my needs and price point yet, with the E-PM1 being the closest. :frown:

7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Hang on to your money. I've been hit with upgrade-itis a lot as well. Enjoy your current cameras, and if anything invest in some fun new glass.

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    If you already have the GF2, there's no compelling reason for you to switch. However, if you had only the G3, the E-PM1 would probably make a great second micro four-thirds camera. You'd have IBIS when you need or want it and a choice of Panasonic or Olympus image processing. As an only camera, the E-PM1's lack of external controls might be an issue. But as a second body, I don't think it would be a problem at all. Still, in your specific case, I'd keep the GF2.

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Get the E-PM1, you only live life once.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Unless you're a cat.

• Like Like x 2
  11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have a GF2 and I bought I after I sold my E-P1 I have had an E-PL1 and PL2 and to be honest I have never found IBIS compelling enough a reason to stick with Olympus. That doesn't mean it doesn't work as advertised...it does, but I do not find it essential to my photos and I use a number of legacy lenses. In fact I find the lack of an EVF more of an issue for me that IBIS (that's why I have a G2 as well). Between all of the small rangefinder styled cameras I've had (the E-P1/PL1 /PL2 and GF2) I'd say the GF2 is my favorite. It's fast, compact has an excellent LCD and the touch screen interface is actually pretty convenient. I also find that the controls are easy to access and it is very comfortable to use in A mode. The push button thumb wheel on the GF2 works exceptionally well. I also find the Panasonic UI to be superior to the UI on the Olympus cameras (of course I have friends that prefer the Olympus UI so take that for what it is...my opinion and nothing more).

As far as Olympus colors...I have been using Olympus digital cameras for a long time. I started with an Olympus 500D (all of .5mp back in the day) and have a succession of cameras up through my E-500 and E-520 and the three PEN cameras. I like Olympus cameras and FWIW they do seem to produce different color than Panasonic cameras OOB. Whether or not it is better is up to you. I find that with some tweaking my G2 and GF2 produce wonderfully vibrant images that rival anything I ever got form the Olympus cameras. To my eye Olympus colors are warm and a bit over saturated. They remind me of the way Fuji Velvia used to work. It's very pleasing color but I wouldn't call it particularly accurate. I have also found that when you shoot really vibrant subjects (such as flowers) you sometimes get images that are way over saturated and need post in order to make them useable. That said, for most stuff it is really pleasing and I'm not in any position to say whether it's good or bad.

If you have a jones to spend money I'd suggest getting better glass. I would think it'll have more effect on the quality of your images that switching from a GF2 to an E-PM1.

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    A cat may have nine lives but a frog croaks all day.

• Like Like x 2