1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Keep g2 or g3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by boatman37210, Dec 3, 2013.

1. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    Have a G2 and a G3. Need to sell one. Like the design, build, and feel of the G2 better, but the G3 has more pixels.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks.

2. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    i'd go with the feel

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Which one will cause you to shoot more?

• Like Like x 1
  4. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    More pixels = smaller pixels, not always a good thing. I find 12mp is plenty most of the time.

I find the G2's EVF / screen lag to be it's most limiting feature - is that any better on the G3 because that would possibly swing my decision?

• Like Like x 1
  5. JohnHC

JohnHC New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2012
    I made the switch from G2 to G3 and while they dumbed down the G3 relative to the G2, the G3 takes better pictures and I'm happy with it. I like the slr form factor better than the pseudo rangefinder style and the size is perfect. I bought the GX7 and I still reach for the G3. If you don't want shutter lag you have to go with a dslr.

• Like Like x 1
  6. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    Haven't noticed a lag on the G2. Could be it is there, but not big enough problem for me to even remember.

I fairly recently purchased an EM5 and a EPM2, so they are my primary cameras right now. The G2 or G3 will be a body I keep around to see how lenses do on a Panny body. I'm always wanting to compare Oly against Panny. At some point I will settle on one or the other. I am very pleased with the EM5 and EPM2, so I am almost there. Would like to keep one Panny body around for the time being.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    My G3 doesn't take better pictures than my G1 ... but it has video!
    I never had a G2.
    In my experience "more pixels" is nothing, but : I don't print BIG or crop for tiny wildlife.
    If you commonly use RAW the G3 has vastly better dynamic range and somewhat better noice.
    The G2 has totally better controls and handling, plus "multifilm" and the superb Dynamic-B&W which is nicer than any similar monochrome straight out of G3.

• Like Like x 1
  8. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I had a G3 and a G2. The G3 is technically better in every way. But I would rather have the G2. They're worth about the same these days: not very much.

• Like Like x 1
  9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I have the G2 as my second cam and still shoot it. I would pick the G2 over the G3 just for the eye sensor alone, but that's just me. Image quality wise the G3 is much better in hight ISO, though.

• Like Like x 1