1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Kata 3n1-22

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by longimanus, May 9, 2011.

1. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    I saw a lot of reviews for this bag, but all of them have standar DSRL cameras so, Anyone with this bag in the forum???

if yes, could post any images with m4/3 equipment inside???

Thx

2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    • Like Like x 1
  3. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thank you.

I searched all the forum but I have not found any reference to this particular bag.
    Also on that interesting thread, of course no photos at all.

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I had the kata 3n1-30, essentially the wider version (the 30 didn't have a laptop sleeve, while the 11/22/33 series do). It is a good bag, probably overkill for just carrying m4/3 gear around, though if you want it for an everyday bag that you can stuff other essentials it would be perfect. Kata make very high quality gear so no question on that part.

To give you an idea of the size, it would easily take my Pentax K20d with grip attached, and an 8 inch lens (50-135mm f2.8), with the hood reversed. The 30 version is only wider, and took the same camera/lens with the hood extended (which was why I went with the larger bag). In other words, it will easily swallow any m4/3 gear you can throw at it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thank you pxpaulx.
    I will use it for everyday bag, with posibilities to carry all my m4/3 lenses and some old nikon ones and a tripod/monopod.
    Actually I have an small Lowepro Nova 160 AW (sholulder bag), good to carry my GF1 another lens (2 maybe) and a flash, but is very annoying to take out/in the camera and small to carry with more equipment.
    Also I have a Lowepro 450 RUNNER that is a very big backpad, that I use for travelling with all my underwater equipment and a Laptop, perfect for this use, but extra large for everyday use.
    I am looking for an intermediate bag I can use for travel without underwater housing and ports. And, of course, easy to carry in multiple positions.

6. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    I recently bought this bag to carry both my ep2 gear and my Nikon d90 when I go on adventure trips. I have not yet actually taken it on a trip, so I cannot give a full review of it. Since I usually carry the pen everyday in my vest or daypack, I have not been carrying this around yet.

I chose it after looking around a bit online for a pack that could house both cameras plus my iPad. Amazon reviews made it look like the best choice.

It does house both cameras and my extra lenses, filters, batteries, chargers, etc. I put the dslr gear on one side and the pen gear on the other, configuring them so I can access either camera quickly with the side flaps. The internal Velcro configurable partitions worked very nicely for this. the top rear pocket is just right for the ipad.

It feels and looks really solid and well made, and the strap system looks like it should be very comfy for hauling around all day, on bike or motorbike or on foot. But, as I said, I have not yet had a chance to use it for a real trip.

It has no real provision for a tripod, but you could strap one on with some velcro straps fairly easily.

Here is a quick shot of how the oly side looks (taken with the Nikon), with the ep2 peeking out at the bottom, lenses above, iPad peeking out above that.

Note that I have pulled all of the gear out slightly, so they would be easy to see in the photo. They really sit pretty snugly down inside this well padded pack, so you would not see them easily in a snapshot of the whole kit. The filters and batteries fit neatly in the little side pocket above the lenses here, and chargers and sundry gear in the big pouch on top.

Btw, this whole post was completed on the iPad, using camera connection kit and the Mu-43.com app!

Could have done it and posted it from anywhere with a cellular or wifi connection!

Isn't the 21st century cool?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thank you so much SMaturin for your excellent report.
    I´ve just ordered one ;-)))
    FYI, you have a tripod holder option for this bag KT ZZ-STH-3N1.
    And yes..... technology is fantastic!!!!!!!

8. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    You are welcome!

Yes, I recall there being some mention of a tripod add-on system when I was buying it, but I did not think I would use such. The basic pack does not have any secure way to attach a standard tripod. My goal is to travel light, not take a whole studio along on a motorcycle trip or a hike. So I rarely carry a real tripod. The times I did pack one in my luggage for an overseas trip, I found it to be dead weight that I rarely used.

I carry one of those clamp-on "tripod" devices for when I might need to use a bench or chair or handlebar as a tripod substitute. As you can see in the photo, one of those oversized gorilla pod gadgets can also be twisted onto the pack, and it saves weight and bulk.

Another thought- when traveling to third world countries, I do not like to carry a fancy camera bag that screams "Steal me! I'm full of expensive gear!" Having a nice tripod hanging off your back is a dead giveaway. The kata bag is not so obviously a camera bag, as it looks more like a small daypack, and is more secure when worn as one.

In Morocco last year, in the main square in Marrakech, our friends had their camera bag snatched when they set it down for just a moment while distracted by the thief's accomplice. They watched it run out of sight into the crowd and could do nothing to stop it. Brand new high end DSLR and gear gone in a second at the very start of their trip. I lost a laptop about the same time, swiped out of my luggage in a hotel hallway as we were loading to leave. If your toys are not secured on your back, they are at risk.

Enjoy it!
    Steve

9. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    I agree completely with you, this bag does not appear as photo bag, and that is very good for our toys jejeje!!!.

I supposed I will use the tripod holder on hike, depending on how difficult the hike will be, I carry the tripod or the monopod part (this tripod can be converted to monopod and because it is carbon fiber made, it is really very light), also great the posibility to attach or not this tripod holder.

As soon I received the bag I will post some photos on this thread....

10. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    I've been using the 3N1-20 for a few years now (the 11/22/33 series didn't exist yet). It originally held a Canon Rebel XS and cadre of lenses (including a couple L lenses from various family members). It is a bit overkill for an m43 unless you've got multiple bodies, or lots of lenses, or like to pack a lot of extra gear.

My general concern with it of late has just been security. I wish there was a way to lock the bag shut. As it is, someone can just walk up behind you, pop the speed buckle, and out falls your camera body. Maybe I'm just getting more paranoid as I get older. When I was in Barcelona 1.5 years ago, I generally wore the bag on the front when we were in really crowded areas. Other than that though, it's comfortable, flexible, pretty spacious, and reasonably inconspicuous looking (if only it didn't look so rigid and boxy, and yes, a tripod is a dead giveaway). Also one of the only sling bags a lefty can really use.

Very good bag overall, and it did win several awards when it first came out (American Photo and PopPhoto bag of the year IIRC).

• Like Like x 1
  11. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard

Yeah, be extra careful in Barcelona. Wearing it on front is a great idea.

Last year in Barcelona, as I was coming up out of the subway, a pickpocket coming down the stairs grabbed my iPhone out of my cargo shorts pocket. Luckily, I felt it and my dad was right behind me and saw it and we both grabbed him before he could get away!

Barcelona is a beautiful place to visit. But Spain is having really serious unemployment problems at the moment, and pickpockets are everywhere.

As another lefty, I can testify to the usefulness of dual side openings. You can also wear this pack as a sling, instead of a backpack, and swing it around to the front when needed.

12. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    The Bag is here!!!!!
    Fantastic IMHO, for the porpouse I will use it.
    I'm still thinking about tripod holder. As soon as I have a minute I will post some images.

13. everythingsablur

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    If you've got the space and a compact tripod, you can store it in the bag itself. Harder to access, but saves you the cost and precludes the obvious nature of the bag as a camera bag.

How do you like the laptop pocket? Does it make the bag substantially thicker when you put a netbook in it? Does it feel different on your back, since you now have a solid, flat object right against your back? I've been considering getting an Alienware m11x R3 (netbook sized laptop, full PC power with a Core i7 dual core and dedicated GPU for moderate gaming) and it should fit in there. Not that I need yet another camera bag... :rolleyes:

14. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    I agree with you everythingsablur, I have a tablet tripod small enough to carry it inside the bag. An standar tripod is big compared with backpad size and obviously seems more a photo bag.

I think that the laptop pocket add about 3-4 cm thicker, no difference if there is or not a notebook inside because as this pocket is protected on the sides always have about 2-3 cm thicker, I will try to show it when I post the photos. Also I don't feel a flat objet on my back........

And yes it is a perfect bag for the allienware laptop...... so you may start to save your money, jejejeje

15. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    Kata 3N1-22 small review

Finally I had a minute :)

Apologies for the images quality (I used an old minolta xt and low light)

The first on, kata bag compared with a standar tripod (to big for this bag)

[​IMG]

The top place with a little tripod and empty (there is a small separator bar inside to avoid charger dameges your laptop, etc...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The laptop pocket

[​IMG]

with Samsung Q1U UMPC inside

[​IMG]

Side image with laptop pocket open (about 3-4 cm thicker than 3n1-20 model)

[​IMG]

On this you can see there is no problem in put rigid objets inside pocket

[​IMG]

And now a serie from internal divisions

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Inside a GF1, P14-45, O9-18, PL45, P20, P8, Panasonic FL360, nikon 50 f/1.4 with adapter, Soligor 2x for nikon, tokina 70-210 for nikon, battery charger, rain protection and still I have space for something more.

The card pocket

[​IMG]

And the last two images to show the size when you carry with it (I´m not to tall 1,75 m)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope this will be usefull for all m4/3 users!!!!!!

16. everythingsablur

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Doesn't look too much thicker than the non-laptop version. Pretty reasonable. Looks like the back pad is still baffled and you can still stuff your unused shoulder straps into it if you switch to sling.

btw: my best used for the external tripod carrier? Water bottle holder. :)

17. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    Right!!!!!:smile:

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

This is also a good emergency 5 € tripod

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]