Kameramonitor is not going real black(E-M1)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Adrie, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Adrie

Adrie New to Mu-43

Nov 10, 2014
    Hi,

Last week I bought another camera, an E-M1.
    My previous is an E-M5.
    Now I noticed a difference, from which I do not know whether it should be like that.
    As soon as I switch off my Liveview at my E-M5, the monitor really goes black.
    It switches itself off.
    On the E-M1 the monitor remains a little gray, it looks as if it’s not switched off..
    Is that good, is it with you also in that way?

Adrie

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That's the default setting for the E-M1 and you can change it to go completely off, which is the better way, to save power. I now have to remember how to do that and maybe someone can chime in to assist.

3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    How to switch it off completely.
    Hold down the button to the left of the viewfinder for a couple of seconds. This gives you a menu screen, set the EVF Auto Switch to Off. Now you use that button to toggle between the EVF and the screen. When the EVF is in use the screen is completely off.

There is an annoyance if you turn Auto Switch off, which I found unacceptable. I will explain...
    I sometimes press the Play button to check the photo I just took.
    When in Auto EVF mode, with the camera to your eye, and you press the play button, you see the photo you took in the EVF. That is good.
    But with Auto EVF Off, and with the EVF in use and the camera at your eye, the photo instead appears on the screen, so you have to take the camera away from your eye to see it. In bright sun you can't see it well.
    There is no option to change this. I can see why people might like it to to work either way, but it doesn't suit me.

Better to leave EVF Auto Switch on, it uses very little power and you should have a spare battery anyway.

4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Any way to save a little battery power is good. I started using my EM5 (now have an EM1) with adapted lenses, now that I am mostly using native lenses I see a huge difference in battery usage. Now my main lens is a ZD 50-200 SWD and I am seeing a huge difference in battery drain. 7 hours at an airshow I went thru 5 1/2 batteries, compared to the last one with my Canon 7D and used 1 battery.

5. I'm not sure if it is different now with recent OLED monitors and higher resolution EVFs, but a few years ago Olympus quoted a shorter battery life when using the VF-2 on their Pen models, not longer.

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'm pretty certain that the battery life of my E-M1 improved after I fully switched off the EVF.

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It doesn't appear that anyone has actually answered your question. The E-M5 uses an OLED display where the black areas are really black whereas the E-M1 uses an LCD screen which uses backlighting (I think) & the blank screen isn't really off & you still see the back lighting in the E-M1 which is normal as well as the blacks not being fully black as the OLED screen of the E-M5.

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I think it also hugely depends on how you shoot, how much you shoot, etc. I used my E-M1 and 50-200 SWD extensively on safari, and switched it off after every burst/shot, but also stared through the EVF quite a lot to catch the right moments. I think my average number of shots per battery was around the 480 mark. Huge difference compared with the 5DII I used on the last African trip, where I got more than double the shots per charge, but still, prefectly acceptable for me.

9. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    This is how you switch the E-M1 backlighting off:

How to switch it off completely.
    Hold down the button to the left of the viewfinder for a couple of seconds. This gives you a menu screen, set the EVF Auto Switch to Off. Now you use that button to toggle between the EVF and the screen. When the EVF is in use the screen is completely off.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    The E-M5 had an oled display.

Reinhard Wagner, who wrote a german book about the E-M1, measured how much power is used for different things - a few pages of the book are free including those stats. Just jump to page 34 and 35
    http://oly-e.de/download/docs/em1dok.pdf

Camera with...
    Display off & backlight off -> 300ma
    Display off & backlight on -> 310ma
    Display on but dimmed -> 310ma
    Display on -> 320ma
    EVF -> 330ma
    LiveTime exposure -> 260ma

You'll find also some other values like IBIS (+60ma) or the difference between mFT and FT optics in it. The difference between backlight on and off seems to be fairly low compared to some other things like the IBIS.

When I want to save energy I use the sleep mode. At least on photo walks or when I'm walking through the streets the sleep mode and a low time like 8 seconds can be a huge change and make it easy for me to get through a day with a single battery. When I see something I touch the shutter and in the 1-3 seconds it takes to bring the camera up to my eye it's also ready.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ross the fiddler

That's what I prefer too.

12. Of course the great thing about the E-M1 compared to the E-M5 is that it recognises when the rear screen has been tilited away from the body and automatically disables the eye sensor. The E-M5 didn't, which means that when using the touchscreen you could trip the eye sensor.

13. Ross the fiddler

Yes, that was certainly a useful addition.