k-30 need for speed

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by kurt1968, Jul 26, 2013.

1. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    Hi ,
    would a pentax k30 add some value for taking pics of my playing children and pets?
    Is the k-30 's autofocus quicker than the latest m43 cameras?
    The thing is , i could buy a new one with kitlens for 370 euros
  2. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    The K30 autofocus is only slightly improved over the K5. In my experience the Olympus EPL5 is much faster and more accurate than the K5. That is a decent price for the K30. For the answer to your question of its value for children and pets try this forum:

Pentax K-30 - PentaxForums.com
  3. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012

ok thx
    think i am gone buy it , price is ok , and the WR makes it a good friend to take on my fishing outings
  4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Don't forget that the AF speed is affected by the amount of light available and the "speed" of the lens being used. For whatever camera you are using, focus using an open aperture and then close down for DoF or light attenuation if you need to.
  5. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
  6. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Sorry for the ignorance, but I don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying to focus on your subject and then change your settings to take the picture? That doesn't seem to be a workable solution if the goal is to take a picture of a moving subject, so I must be missing something.
  7. ballhog

ballhog New to Mu-43

Mar 29, 2012
    I have and OM-D, bought a k-30 because it was a good deal. I noticed, when taking pictures of fish, which is something I like todo, the K-30 consistently takes a better sharper picture. I'm not a pro, but I have been using the OM-D for over a year and the k-30, 3 weeks. Action shots of fish, just seem to be allot easier to capture with the K-30 then the OM-d.
  8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I realize that some mirrorless cameras adjust the aperture automatically for proper exposure on the EVF, but I thought most modern DSLRs set AF and exposure with the aperture wide open.

In my experience, most DSLRS (even the Pentax K-5) are better than most mirrorless (even the OM-D) with AF of moving subjects. The notable exception is the Nikon 1, which is blazing fast in good light.