Just Watching the Sidewalk- NYC Picture

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by slackmachine, May 21, 2011.

1. slackmachine

slackmachine Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 23, 2010
    A quick pic I took in NYC with the E-pl1 and 17mm lens. Enjoy! And feedback would be great too. :smile:
    P3197509.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Nice capture!

Subject matter is timeless - this could be taken in any decade from the 1950's through today. I especially like the overexposed portions of the photo - gives it a sense of nostalgia.

Keep at it!

3. slackmachine

Jun 23, 2010
    Thanks! Although for landscapes I usually leave it out, I often overexpose (and blow out even) some portions of the image. I just think about it as another tool for me to use, like bokeh.

4. Stephen Geis

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Here is a sidewalk scene from Charlotte that I captured Friday afternoon. Very similar style as your capture ...

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/43BAkQZuQ3bRGu7Uj7lHdQ?feat=embedwebsite">[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  5. In colour, I like it. In B&W, I'd love it.

6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'm going to ask because I'm curious - have you blurred the background in PS?

7. Stephen Geis

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm assuming you are asking Slackmachine that question. The only post processing on the photo I posted was slightly pushing the highlights, otherwise straight of of camera JPEG.

I used a GF1 with a 40mm summicron lens at f/2 to acheive the shallow depth of field and the background blur. ISO 400 on a bright sunlit day, underexposed 1 2/3 stops, at 1/4000th of a second.

Suspect given that the background in Slackmachine's photo is less blurred and the lens that he was using that has a maximum aperature of f2.8, that he had it set somewhere between 3.5 to 4, but that's just a guess on my part.

8. slackmachine

Jun 23, 2010

9. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    I think he must have.

10. bebrox

bebrox Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    Scotland
    Background question

There is something not quite right about the out of focus background, I am more drawn to this than the foreground...did you achieve this naturally or with post processing?

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm guessing its blurred in post, because the distant objects aren't becoming progressively blurrier. Some sort of gaussian blur applied, with a feather edge is my guess (though I'm often wrong, as my wife assures me).

Still, nice shot.

12. slackmachine

Jun 23, 2010
    Sorry everybody, I probably should have noted that up in the first post, but yes, the blur is from post processing. It was the first time I've blurred after shooting, as I'm not a huge fan of major PP. I will upload a non blurred version as well. As for how I did it, I used the blur tool in aperture, with I believe two different settings (one lighter, for the foreground, and one a bit more for the background). If i used more "shades" of blur it might be smoother and progressively more blurred.

13. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Lol I don't mind, I still think it's a great shot (although I'd love to see a B&W version). I'm just curious about these things :)

14. slackmachine

Jun 23, 2010
    Here's a black and white version:
    P3197509_-_Version_4.