Just Watching the Sidewalk- NYC Picture

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by slackmachine, May 21, 2011.

1. slackmachine

slackmachine Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 23, 2010
    A quick pic I took in NYC with the E-pl1 and 17mm lens. Enjoy! And feedback would be great too. :smile:
    P3197509.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  2. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Nice capture!

Subject matter is timeless - this could be taken in any decade from the 1950's through today. I especially like the overexposed portions of the photo - gives it a sense of nostalgia.

Keep at it!

3. slackmachine

Jun 23, 2010
    Thanks! Although for landscapes I usually leave it out, I often overexpose (and blow out even) some portions of the image. I just think about it as another tool for me to use, like bokeh.

4. Stephen Geis

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Here is a sidewalk scene from Charlotte that I captured Friday afternoon. Very similar style as your capture ...

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/43BAkQZuQ3bRGu7Uj7lHdQ?feat=embedwebsite">[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  5. In colour, I like it. In B&W, I'd love it.

6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'm going to ask because I'm curious - have you blurred the background in PS?

7. Stephen Geis

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm assuming you are asking Slackmachine that question. The only post processing on the photo I posted was slightly pushing the highlights, otherwise straight of of camera JPEG.

I used a GF1 with a 40mm summicron lens at f/2 to acheive the shallow depth of field and the background blur. ISO 400 on a bright sunlit day, underexposed 1 2/3 stops, at 1/4000th of a second.

Suspect given that the background in Slackmachine's photo is less blurred and the lens that he was using that has a maximum aperature of f2.8, that he had it set somewhere between 3.5 to 4, but that's just a guess on my part.

8. slackmachine

Jun 23, 2010

9. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    I think he must have.

10. bebrox

bebrox Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    Scotland
    Background question

There is something not quite right about the out of focus background, I am more drawn to this than the foreground...did you achieve this naturally or with post processing?

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm guessing its blurred in post, because the distant objects aren't becoming progressively blurrier. Some sort of gaussian blur applied, with a feather edge is my guess (though I'm often wrong, as my wife assures me).

Still, nice shot.

12. slackmachine

Jun 23, 2010
    Sorry everybody, I probably should have noted that up in the first post, but yes, the blur is from post processing. It was the first time I've blurred after shooting, as I'm not a huge fan of major PP. I will upload a non blurred version as well. As for how I did it, I used the blur tool in aperture, with I believe two different settings (one lighter, for the foreground, and one a bit more for the background). If i used more "shades" of blur it might be smoother and progressively more blurred.

13. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Lol I don't mind, I still think it's a great shot (although I'd love to see a B&W version). I'm just curious about these things :)

14. slackmachine

Jun 23, 2010
    Here's a black and white version:
    P3197509_-_Version_4.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.