1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just waiting for the EPM2 or EP4 with the OMD sensor

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Apr 2, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Finally made the decision and cancelled my OMD order. I of course enjoy having the "lastest" but I was never quite comfortable with ordering it. It's a bit costly for my budget, and is likely over-speced for my needs.

Now the wait begins for the new sensor to trickle down to the EPM2 or an EP4.

I'll take an EP4 with built in VF. I can forgo weather sealing, IS in the viewfinder, and the 5 axis IBIS if I could get a pen w/EVF. If that's not possible then the new sensor in the EPM2 w/out EVF will be just fine.

Time to keeping hitting "refresh" on 43rumors site. Hopefully no later than September??

• Like Like x 1
  2. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I'm with you...and September would be all right.
    In fact, I'm really ok with my E P3 and E PM1.

3. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    So everything the em-5 is minus the weathersealing and cheaper too, which is probably not gonna happen. This will alienate too many em-5 users at that point.

I'll be fine with an e-pm1 + updated sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Looking at recent history we'll see the price of the OMD drop within 6 months and second hand ones going for half of current list. It pays to wait.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    There are other differences. EM5 has more control wheels. It also has the add-on grip option. More buttons. Tilt screen. They could also keep the 9fps shutter in the OMD. There's a lot more that separates it than just an EVF.

6. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I am with you, too, waiting for e-pm2 with the new techs.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston

8. bongestrella

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Depends on how useful to you those are I guess.

Personally I'm fine with the controls of ep-3 as it is, the additional buttons/wheel on the em-5 are good but not a deal breaker. The grip option for the em-5 is $300, so economically speaking not really an option for most people, especially considering that there is also a $20 option for a larger grip for the e-p3 (the extra battery compartment for the em-5 grip is useless to me). The 9fps of the em-5 is also nice, but reports say that tracking is still not there so I don't know how else I'm going to use it. Tilt screen is also nice but I don't even recall the last time I used my 60d's more articulated screen.

So basically, I only preordered the em-5 because of the updated sensor, improved IBIS, maybe the weathersealing, love the styling, but mostly because of the built-in EVF.

9. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    I wish Olympus would clarify how the OM-D and PEN series are differentiated. I'm also on the fence with OM-D as I'm curious about the direction the PENs are going to take. The VF isn't a deal breaker for me and if anything, holding me back from the OM-D as I much perfer the look of the EP2/3. Also, I would like an onboard flash so the EP3 direction is more my style.

If the OM-D is about weather sealing, builtin EVF, 16mp Sensor

AND

If the PEN is about rangefinder looks and no builtin EVF, 12mp Sensor (hopefully with an updated one in the EP4/5 whatever number it becomes)..

AND

Olympus makes the 5-axis IBIS standard across both the OM-D and PEN lines..

I'd get the next gen PEN.

For me, the 4 key features of the OM-D:

1. Foremost; 5-axis IBIS. Truly amazing seeing it in action. Real world noticeable advantage.
    2. The next most important feature is the Builtin EVF.
    3. Then Weathersealing.
    4. Then the 16mp Sensor.

For me, the 16mp is least new advancement in the Olympus line. Sure it`s better, but not leaps and bounds of the EP3 like the other 3 features are.

So taking the sensor out of the equation, what is that makes the OM-D unique over the PEN series moving forward. Wish I knew.. Olympus rep did tell me Saturday that there was a chance of a dumbed down OM-D like what Olympus does in the PEN series. Not sure if it was a guess from him or something he saw on the roadmap.

If the next PEN had the following, I think it would a real winner:

1. 5-axis IBIS
    2. Updated 12mp Sensor; 12 EV, 1.5 stop high ISO improvement and if possible, iso 100 native.
    3. Same rear sliding LCD as the OM-D
    4. Keep on board flash.

OM-D EM-5, PEN EP-5, PEN EPM-5 (no flash, no sliding screen); now that would be an awesome lineup!

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    As I understand it, the 5 axis IBIS uses sensors in the hump (???) which would defeat the Pen styling.

11. bongestrella

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    The question is, would an improved sensor be enough of an upgrade for the new pens? Not that lack of improvements ever stopped manufacturers from releasing new models every year.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-30 was no cheaper than the E-3, which was no cheaper than the E-5... Dropping weather sealing is not going to make it cheaper, that's just not the way it works. The camera isn't more expensive because of the presence of weather sealing, the presence of weather sealing is made possible by the already high-grade of the camera.

13. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    But along with an updated sensor, they make claims about improved iso performance and worlds fastest AF..

From the EP-1 to the EP3.. basically same sensor. Only improvements was improvement to 1-4000s, thinning out the AA, Fast AF, on board flash and a nifty rear screen in 2+ years. Outside of the AF, hardly any real technical advancements.

So to answer your question, yeah. An improved Sensor and some marketing mumbo jumbo would be enough for the next pen. Throw in the possibility of 5-axis IBIS and you have a major announcement.

14. bongestrella

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Well, with that reasoning, an ep-4 with em-5's price less some of it's features. Who is going to buy that?

Plus, I never claimed that dropping the weathersealing will make it cheaper. The fact that it's a PEN will make it cheaper.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, you're right. Being a PEN will make it cheaper... and it will probably prevent it from gaining the built-in EVF unless it can be put in without the associated hump. After all, the differences in Olympus models are all about form factor.

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I don't expect Oly to put in a VF in the Pen, but it's dumb not to.

If there is no built-in VF in the EP4, then you should also think about the difference between the EPM and EP line. A thumb wheel and a few buttons? Higher res LCD and touch. I think that's it??? Form factor, too, I suppose.

17. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I want an E-PL4 styled after the PL2 body with the new sensor. Maybe ISO 100 and/or 1/8000. That's about all I need.

Edit : And wait three months after the release for a slamming deal.

18. bongestrella

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    But then again an ep-3 + VF2 is roughly the same price as the em-5. Does this call for cheaper PENs in the future??

19. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    1. VF: Now that OM-D is out and being sold, the lack of a VF on the PENs is a non issue. If you want a builtin VF, then get the OM-D. I actually hope they keep the PENs without a builtin EVF for people like me who do not necessarily care for it. Plus, it brings in an extra cost and probably a significant one so I would rather have the PEN 50-100 cheaper and keep it out of the cam and get the clip on version if it was an issue.

2. EP vs. EPM: Think its mainly about form factor by keeping the EPM as clean, sleek and small-thin as possible for those that mainly shoot iAuto but would like the option of have PASM when occasionally needed. I personally like the fact they have both options. Considering the Size of the new Sigma DP1m or DP2m.. the mini might just be the best Large Sized sensor small form factor camera on the market.

3. As for 5-axis, the Head of Olympus clearly stated.. Sure Why not, when asked if the 5-axis could be added or would be added the PEN series. I think the stablization in the hump is about the VF stablization moreso then the m43 sensor directly.

As for future direction of the PENs, key things I would like to see:

1. 5-Axis IBIS
    2. ISO 100 (dreaming I know)
    3. 1-8000s (more applicable to the OM-D then PEN so doubt we`ll see in the PEN)
    4. DR to over 12.5 EV
    5. Excellent 3200 and better 6400
    6. Same rear screen as OM-D

Announce the EP-4 teaser with #1 and 3/5 of the rest of those items and I'll preorder today. So being realistic, 5-axis + OMD screen + 12mp better sensor and many would be happy. Adding iso 100 or 1-8000s would just be gravy.

• Like Like x 1
  20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If they did an EP4 WITH a built-in EVF, and it was not any bigger, would you still buy it?

In terms of cost, the EP3, IMO, was over-priced. Just look at the OMD and the EPM1. It shows the EP3 has a lot of margin in there. From a price perspective, they could likely fit in their VF2 tech without impacting the retail cost significantly.