1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just switched to Olympus - should I switch to Olympus only lenses?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rrobinson, May 11, 2016.

1. rrobinson

rrobinson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2011
    I sold all of my Sony full frame equipment and switched over to Panasonic bodies (GH4, G7, GX7) and Panasonic lenses (12-35, 35-100, 100-300, 15, 25, 45 macro, 14-140ii). I have recently purchased a Olympus E-M5ii and E-M1, along with the Olympus 12-40 pro lens. I actually prefer the Olympus over the Panasonic bodies. How well do Panasonic lenses perform on Olympus bodies? I plan to sell my Panasonic bodies and am considering replacing the Panasonic lenses with Olympus. I really love the quality of the 12-40 (better than the 12-35 IMO). I have read many people having issues with purple fringing when using Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies. Am I better off just using Olympus lenses on my Olympus bodies? Or are the Panasonic just as good?

2. I use 3 Panasonic lenses on my M10 and have only run into the purple fringing thing during one situation. It was related to having bright lights that may have been slightly out of focus. Somewhat of a complex issue that my normal RAW program didn't really fix. I used OV3 and that got almost all of it. That was while using the Pan 12-32. Which ones you use becomes a mix and match process for some of us here. Some have total faith in brand loyalty. I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of the Panny gear till you get things sorted out with Olympus items...unless your personal economy demands it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sesser

sesser Zen Master

Mar 10, 2015
    Portland, OR
    randy
    In general, I would say they're just as good (or better in some cases). Yes, you get purple fringing, but that's easy to fix in post when it happens. Some lenses are worse than others. I know the PL25 and P20 exhibit this on my Olympus bodies. I would say save your money.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    From my perspective, I preferred Olympus bodies but Panasonic lenses. Across their entire lineup of lenses they just felt better built to me and all seemed to be part of the same system. Like the Fuji lenses I now have. The five Olympus lenses I had plus the two that I borrowed including the 12-40mm that everyone rates so highly and is probably the best of the Olympus lineup, did not seem to be a part of a system but more like each lens was designed by a separate team. Here was my lineup after I had already sold my Oly 45 and 17mm lenses and the Panasonic 20mm lens. Camera%20family%20four%20thirds%20002a.JPG

5. Gary_Berg

Gary_Berg Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2012
    Since you don't have kit lenses, I'd give the Panasonic lenses a try on t he Olympus gear and see how it does. If you can't see a difference, keep 'em. Going the other way would be more problematic, as a Panasonic body generally expects lens stabilization and Olympus lenses don't have it.

6. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

The Panasonic collapsable 12-32mm is my favorite on the PEN-F. Sharp, very compact, versatile. A really compact and exceptionally capable pairing.

7. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I'm with CWRailman . . . Olympus bodies and Panasonic lenses, for the most part. The Olympus exceptions are the 9mm bodycap and 9-18mm zoom, both of which are tiny. I have absolutely no issues with using my Panasonic lenses on my Olympus bodies.

Heck, being able to mix/match is one of the great features of the format.

8. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I liked the Olympus bodies and image rendering so I too switched from Panasonic. I was happy with keeping my Panasonic lenses, but sold off some to fund some newer Olympus ones. I currently have 3 Olympus bodies, and a total of six lenses; 4 Panasonic and 2 Olympus. I mix and match at will with no complaints.

9. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Using Olympus body with panasonic lenses too here :biggrin:

No problem and no issue. I feel panasonic lenses give more contrast.

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Olympus bodies and mostly Panasonic lenses here too. My only Oly lenses are the 25 f/1.8 and 45 f/1.8.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. TonyG

TonyG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Panasonic makes some outstanding lenses. So as far as IQ goes there isn't an issue.

12. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Olympus bodies and a mix of Olympus, Panasonic, Sigma, and Canon lenses.

No issues at all mixing and matching, a good lens is a good lens regardless of the body it's on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I would keep the Panasonic lenses. They work absolutely fine and when you at some point want to make the move back for whatever reason you still have the lenses with OIS. Swapping out the lenses just to match brands just seems like burning money to me. I mix lenses on my GX7 and expect this to work even better with the newer Bodies with better IBIS.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I endorse the comments of others here. I have both brands of bodies and about 50/50 mix of lens brands, with no issues whatsoever. I don't have the Panasonic 7-14, which seems prone to occasional purple flare/fringing on Olympic bodies --- but neither do you.

15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    No need to switch lenses.

16. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
  17. Ribbit

Ribbit New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2016
    Mostly Panasonic lenses except for the 12-40 zoom.

But my E-M10mk2 is my primary camera with a GM1 as a backup.

Lumix lenses:
    -12-32mm pancake (came with the GM1)
    -14-140 3.5-5.6 - great match for the OMD, but right now it's on my GM1 that I keep in my car.
    -20mm f/1.7 - no issues whatsoever on the OMD, banding is only visible at really high ISO's (12,800) which I never need to use because of the sensor stabilization

Olympus lenses:
    -12-40 zoom (I would never use this on my GM1)

I used to have the Olympus 25mm and 45mm primes but both were decentered. I'd stick to panasonic primes except for Olympus "pro" models.

18. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    You have the Olympus bodies. You have the Panasonic lenses. if you put the lenses on the bodies you can find out for yourself if they perform up to your standards.

I've indiscriminately used Panasonic, Olympus and Sigma lenses on both Panasonic and Olympus bodies. I've been perfectly happy with the results.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  19. victor.reynolds712

victor.reynolds712 New to Mu-43

Apr 1, 2016
    I have an Olympus body (E-PL6), however, there are Panasonic lenses I am interested in using with it.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

20. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    The one major difference that affects me is the zoom direction is reversed between Lumix and Oly. That could make a difference to you, it keeps me from mixing my zoom brands. Yet another reason to go with primes! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1