Just starting...E-M5 or M10?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Cabin590, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Cabin590

Cabin590 New to Mu-43

Apr 3, 2014
    Going from point and shoot/bridge camera to M4/3; have done research, narrowed down to E-M5 or M10. Current price points have M5 at $635 and M10 at $699 (body only). Recreational use/indoor/family. Thoughts?
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I'm surprised the E-M10 costs more than the EM5. is the M5 used or refurbished?
  3. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    I think used e-m5s cost around $450, might be worth looking into.
  4. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    E-M5s are going for around the $500 mark when you find a used copy. Unless you want wifi, the EM5 is probably the better choice. That said, if you also need lenses, get the EM10 with the instant rebates on up to four lenses ($100 off 17, 25, $200 off 12-40, etc).
  5. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Agree with Joelmusicman, Cabin590, I'd go for a new OM-D E-M10 (I have one) and get the additional savings on selected lens. I couldn't live without the Wi-Fi, but that's me.
  6. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    Also, the E-M10 has the new Live Composite feature, if you are interested in long exposures. I wish my E-M5 had it.
  7. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    E-M10. That tiny little piece looks oh so sweet.

I am keeping my eye on it for when it hits the refurb section.
  8. 2112

2112 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2014
    Emerald Isle, NC.
    I'm brand new here and coming from a 7D w/70-200mm 2.8 lens I wanted something small for a carry around camera that had great features. After hours/days of reading on the E-M5 and E-M10 I ended up ordering the E-M10 w/14-42mm EZ pancake lens for its size, WiFi and pop up flash to name a few things.
    The only problem is that it's back ordered from B&H, but hope I get it soon.

Good Luck.
  9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-M10 is fantastic. Feels and looks smaller than e-M5 (smaller hump), built-in flash, new processor, much higher res. screen, EVF with auto-brightness, higher video bitrate at 24 mbps, time lapse mode, auto hdr mode, etc. Very useful wifi feature with remote shutter apps
  10. jasjb

jasjb Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2014
    In favour for beginning with the E-M10...

Cheaper ... (or should be, hunt around)

WIFI ... this just makes the photo revision experience better, and makes your camera more accessible. Sure it's a bonus feature, but for a novice this can make your camera so much more attractive to pick up and use and learn with.

14-42mm EZ ... This is perfect for a beginner. Put anything bigger on your camera and you will think twice about taking your OMD with you. This pancake (+ the nifty lens) just screams "Let's go and take photos!". Later on you will start to learn about the prime lenses, and might buy one after identifying your needs.

Flash ... the pro's will sniff at its quality, but for a beginner it can be handy
  11. dombi

dombi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    I was in a similar boat not too long ago. I went with the E-M10.
    I absolutely love this little camera. It takes amazing pictures.

I didn't want to miss out on the WiFi, and I wanted to have the Live Composite feature (although I haven't used that one yet). I was worried about the 3-axis IBIS, but it works great. The images are razor sharp.
  12. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I use the E-M5 and still love it but if money is tight I'd look at a used E-M5 because many people traded in little used E'M5's to trade up when the E-M1 came out. The E-M5 and the E-M10 are both great cameras but as others have said you might want to go with the E-M10 if you need to buy lenses because of the discounts.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Cabin590

Cabin590 New to Mu-43

Apr 3, 2014
    Nope, selling as new
  14. Cabin590

Cabin590 New to Mu-43

Apr 3, 2014
    Thanks for the input...do you have any concerns about the weathersealing aspect (not that I look to run out in the rain to take photos...)
  15. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    My e-m10 just shipped from Samys.com. You might check them if you don't feel like Waiting for B&H.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  16. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I don't have any weather proof lenses to use on my EM5, because they are either too large or expensive for my tastes. I'll shoot in snow with a plastic bag around the lens. Never in the rain. I'll golf in the rain. Go fishing in the rain. Take photos? Naaah.

I would suggest the EM10 too. Always get the newer model unless you can get last years model real cheap, and a $700 EM5 is not cheap enough to forgo the built-in flash, improved tactile feel on the buttons, Wifi connectivity, and lack of hump on the EM10.
  17. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Just keep a small plastic bag with a hole cut in one side for the lens. Put it over the camera if you end up in a downpour or near a beach with spray and you should be fine.
  18. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I don't shoot in the rain either but I appreciate this feature because it means that dust has a more difficult time getting into the camera or lens. I wish Olympus would re-release all their micro43's lenses with this feature even thought it would cost more per lens.