1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just some questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by syilim, Mar 6, 2011.

1. syilim

syilim Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2011
    Been a few weeks since my last noob questions...........so obviously its time for more!

On the E-pl2, you can select the focus point from the 11 sections, or even more specific with the zoom function. Ive been using the zoom focus mostly, especially when composing my subjects according to the rules of third. Thing is, it takes a good while to move that small green zoom focus box into the right area. So question is, why select focus point when you can just leave the focus point bang in the centre, pre focus, then recompose the shot? This would then work for when your main subject isn't in the centre of the shot.

Exposure compensation. What exactly is this? I read a few articles (which I forgot to bookmark) that said that when you adjust the exposure compensation, lets say +1, it will either increase your shutter time or stop down the aperture. Then what difference is this to simply changing the shutter time or aperture?

2. I have never used anything other than the centre focus point. I find it far better to focus and then recompose like you've described.

Exposure compensation works in all but full manual mode and adjusts the shutter speed +/- from the camera's metered value. -ve compensation will produce an image darker than the correct metered exposure. +ve compensation will make the image brighter. If you adjust the shutter speed or the aperture the camera will automatically adjust the other so your shot will not be brighter or darker than the correct metered exposure.

• Like Like x 2
  3. syilim

syilim Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2011
    Thanks for the reply Luckypenguin. Will definitely stick with using pre focus and then recomposing from now on. Will safe a lot of time for sure.

That was one of the shortest, and clearest explanation of exposure compensation I've read. Thanks ALOT! :thumbup:

4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Focus and recompose is fine under some circumstances, but in other circumstances can be a major annoyance and time consuming.

I don't have an Oly camera, but on my GF-1, GH2 and LX5, I find that positioning the focus point exactly where I want it to be in the frame is both exceptionally quick and easy to do and results in perfect focus on the selected point.

I don't know how it works on the E-Pxx cameras, but I think it's an excellent feature for repeated exposures of an off center subject, so you don't have to continuously go back and forth, focus, recompose, focus, recompose, etc. Focus and recompose is fine under some circumstances, but in other circumstances is a major annoyance.