1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Just sold the 5n and bought the 5

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by elandel, Mar 26, 2012.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi all,

I know it seems crazy but I just sold my 5n after 9 days and bought a used 5 in mint condition for less than half the price.
    Why?
    It's not easy to explain, mainly because it was too good a camera for my needs. What I mean is that I already have heavy investment in m4/3 and wanted a camera for focus peaking advantage with my legacy lens. The 5n is a camera, in my very subjective opinion, that has to be part of a system and I just don't actually want to bild up another system around any camera: I'm satisfied with what I have for m4/3.
    So I didn't want to use it at a fraction of its potential and decided to sell it for almost the same money. This morning I got my 5 and I'm very satisfied with it for the little I've messed around with it. Upgraded to firmware ver.5 (It had firmware ver.3) and for my needs it seems just what I want.

This is ok for now untill next attack of GAS:rofl:

Next week I'm planning to try it in depth and see what happens.

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No comments ....:confused::confused:
    :confused::confused:
    :confused::confused::confused:
    :confused::confused::confused:

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Life is unpredictable and juicy for the same reason.:biggrin:

Not much feeling with 5n, at a glance got a better one with 5.:eek:

Maybe tomorrow I'll get the 5n's successor; who knows?:wink:

4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    ...and I don't comment your "no comments":rofl::rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bhupinder2002

Hahaha
    Enjoy ur NEX 5 , actually I need an other camera just to leave it in car and was tossing between NeX 5N and Sigma DP2.I will just add one prime to NEx and leave it .
    Cheers

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thats what I told myself when I bought the 5n - then I started thinkin: "maybe an ultrawide would be good, and a good prime and...and..."; then I decided to sell it before I got broke AND divorced.:rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bhupinder2002

U got broke financially and divorced Nex 5N?I bought EPL3 when it was launched at USD 899 with dual lens kit but sold within two weeks and bought my trusty and sexy EPL2 again.I could hardly form any bond with the camera.I need some intimacy and comfort level before I could go ahead and enjoy anything..hahahah :rofl:
    Cheers

8. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    The 5N has some advantages over the 5: sensor, touch screen touch to focus and focus tracking (more for video but can be useful for stills), able to attach an evf (but the Sony evf while very good is pricey), hotshoe (but it's a proprietary Sony flash mount) etc - but if you don't need/want those features then I can see your logic at half the price. (Although the cheapest Nex digital body for a legacy lens/lenses is a Nex 3 or C3).

I have a Nex 5 and am happy with it. Bear in mind that while focus peaking is excellent you will still need to use the magnify and focus in a small number of situations where very precise focus is critical (eg: portraits - peaking doesn't seem to work so well on eyes/faces and also on some shots where you have a very narrow depth of field).

Enjoy it - and if you don't get on with it, you should be able to sell it for close to what you paid - in the UK the 5 new is still a similar price to what I paid for mine 15 months ago, which is keeping used prices higher. The used price of the 3 on the other hand has fallen a lot making them a bargain for buyers but not so good for sellers.

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I totally agree with you.

Cheers

10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Here also in Italy the retail price of the 5 is quite high. I bought mine used with warranty untill 2014 and Nikon adapter, case, and remote control for 300 euros; so I just got into it.