Just sharing how I ended up with an E-PM2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sin77, Jan 4, 2013.

1. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    I have a Panasonic G3 first (in between also owned GF2 and GF5) and very recently E-PM2.

I would think that Panasonic is more user-friendly than Olympus, but after getting used to, I'm fine with both.

Although Olympus interface is not so good, it allows many small adjustments to settings (which is great!)

But between both brands, they each have their pros and cons.

Right now, the Olympus has the advantage of the better sensor and the IBIS, allows in-camera RAW editing and better out-of-camera jpegs (subjective also.)
    Hence, I would pick an Olympus with the better sensor than a Panasonic.
    Panasonic produces many superior lenses though!

As for Olympus, I picked E-PM2 for the following reasons:

1. It uses the same sensor as OMD E-M5.
    2. It is the lightest and smallest amongst those with newer, better sensor (i.e. E-M5 & E-PL5.)
    3. It does not use an AA filter.
    4. It is officially and fully compatible with Toshiba FlashAir SD card (with dedicated smartphone app.) Note that the E-M5 and E-PL5 are not.
    5. It is cheaper than E-PL5 and E-M5.
    6. I personally find it more pleasing in terms of handling and ergonomics.

I don't like the shape and handling of E-M5, buttons/dials/knobs seem cramped up, with a protruding top, and overall it also looks super ugly!
    As for the E-PL5, I always accidentally pressed the movie record button, especially when using the tilt-screen for self-portrait.

The only think I hate about the E-PM2 now is the hotshoe flash I need to attach on the body. I would much prefer Panasonic built-in flash.
    Also a bit lacking is the tilt screen found with E-PL5.
    It is good to have but not absolutely necessary.
    It only jacks up cost and makes it bigger and heavier over the E-PM2.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Thanks for your insights... it is a good user feedback for potential E-PM2 users, though not in my radar.
  3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Pretty sure it has an AA filter. That was a rumor that was busted a few weeks ago
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Thanks, I appreciate your insights. :thumbup: