Just scored a GH1 for $200!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by entropicremnants, Jun 10, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    KEH just put it up today. A "bargain" condition GH1 for $199 and after posting about my lack of GAS at the moment for bodies I'm afraid I hit the button on it.

For my $200 I get some better options for video when I need them: 1080/24p (native with ptool hack) manual controls, and a mic input. (Where's my Rode Stereo Video Mic... I think I sold it dang it...)

The bargain gear at KEH looks like crap usually but works perfectly. We'll see how this one is.

2. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    Gonna hack it?

3. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    If it isn't already yes. Otherwise the 24p is garbage. My GX1 is already hacked but it has no mic input, manual controls, or 24p.

4. RK777

RK777 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2013
    Texas
    Robert
    My KEH "Bargain" purchases have been quite nice cosmetically. I have always been pleasantly surprised. The "Ugly's" I've bought on the other hand, are just that.
    Good luck!

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    You'll be pleasantly surprised by the still photos too. The GH1 is every bit as good as the GH2 for stills.

6. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I picked up a GH1 off Craigslist for $200 a few months ago for video use, but I was pleasantly surprised by the autofocus speed and the still image quality once you fiddle with the RAWs.

7. No idea how the video works, but the still images are some of favourites amongst any Micro 4/3 camera.

8. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The picture quality from GH1 at daylight is pretty good, with base ISO of 100 you can get more from fast lens than those ISO200 based system during daylight. The MAR sensor is a nice addition too.

At lowlight though it certainly show its age.. and lack of ETC for video

9. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Actually, it's RAW performance isn't much behind the GH2 -- it just lacks the resolution. According to DxOMark, it's better than the G5 and close to the E-M5 surprisingly. I do like the G5 very much so I suspect the GH1 will be fine. The E-M5 pulls ahead mainly on dynamic range and a bit more color depth and so forth -- but the differences are pretty negligible overall.

Check this comparison: DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side -- in particular go to the "Measurements" tab and look at the graphs. You'll be surprised by how close these are to the E-M5 in most areas. I was anyway.

What I keep finding as I look into these cameras is that Panasonic appears to have not gotten as much love as they should of for hitting certain specifications early on. The E-M5 as good as it is is really only "ground breaking" in two areas: weather sealing and 5-axis IBIS. It's a great camera but it's an incremental betterment of what Panasonic has already done with it's GH series really -- and surprisingly if you follow the hype.

I really think Olympus understands how to get buzz much better than Panasonic does. That said, the E-M5 is excellent -- but maybe not so much as it's reputation seems to imply.

But what is ETC for video? It doesn't register but I'll probably smack my forehead when you tell me, lol.

10. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ

ETC=Extended Tele Conversion. Functionally, it's a built-in 2x teleconverter. Technically, ETC takes a crop of the sensor to provide an apparent increase in focal length. With video, for example, ETC pulls data off the center 1920x1080 (1080p HD) portion of the sensor instead of scaling the full sensor down to 1080p.

And yes, the GH1 is surprisingly good, virtually indistinguishable from the GH2 for stills.

6039866094_eecd4277b1_z.
    Reaching for the sun. by john m flores, on Flickr

I don't have enough experience with the OM-D to compare.

11. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Thanks, John! [head slap]

12. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    The GH1 arrived from KEH and I have to say for a "Bargain" classification it really does look great. I will probably put more wear on this thing than it has. Even the LCD is perfect. Very happy for my $200 from that standpoint.

Operationally it's great also. One thing though is that it DOES have the ETC mode in it. I was surprised to see that but maybe it was a late firmware add on? Don't know. It had the latest 1.3 firmware when I received it.

I put the ptool 3.66d hacked firmware in it with minimal tweaks: doubled the bitrate and enabled native 24p rather than the weird 24p-wrapped-in-60i mode that comes from the factory.

I've only had a chance to play around in the house with it so far so I've nothing to show, but I'll be getting some shots at the hot air balloon festivel this weekend with it when I shoot it in place of the G1 I was going to use. The G1 is fine except I can't get video off of it to do the hybrid video stuff I want to do. Could have done that with the hacked GX1, but it doesn't do 24p and I wanted to experiment with that more. GH1 will find it's role I hope.

Have to say I love the older G and GH interface with levers and what not. I even prefer the front wheel design of the older ones to the rear wheel design (sounds like cars, lol) of the later G series. Hey Panasonic: how about TWO wheels on everything?

13. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    It only have ETC on photo but not on video

14. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    It is available in manual movie mode on mine but it's called "Digital Zoom" and has 2X and 4X settings. Doesn't appear to drop the resolution on 2X so I do believe that is the same as the ETC mode in later cameras.

I think 2X is just using the center of the sensor -- same as the ETC mode.

15. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The resolution for the video is the same, but there is actual degradation on image quality if you look at computer monitor since it is digital interpolating to 2X

2X digital with GH1
    https://vimeo.com/10904041

The ETC on 1080p is 2.6x crop btw

16. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Well that's sucks. I don't really need it, but I was heartened that it might be something useful.

Oh well.

I will say though, that the long focal length along with all the shake and jitter makes it pretty hard to discern any real quality in the video. I was going to use it to double up my 7-14mm when I needed to to avoid changing lenses when shooting with a single camera.

17. norazi

norazi Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 17, 2013
    amazing how much camera you can get for $200 these days