Just Saw The Ansel Adams Exhibit...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tyrphoto, Aug 29, 2015.

1. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I went to the Ansel Adams exhibit yesterday. All 72 B&W images that were inherited by his daughter, Anne.

Just like with any art, quite a different experience seeing images in a book versus in person at true scale. Absolutely, amazing, amazing, amazing. They also had two areas where two of Adams' students, Bob Kolbrener and Ted Orland, also displayed their work. It's quite obvious that they were both deeply influenced by Adams, yet they each had their own individual style.

If anyone has the chance to see the exhibit if it comes locally to your area, I'd highly recommend it. Easily the best $10 I've ever spent on photography.

• Like Like x 4
  2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Agreed, the prints are in a totally different class compared to looking online or in a book.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  4. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    I was in an eclectic gallery on Monday, and a big Ansel Adams print (Monolith: The Face of Half Dome) was the only work whose authorship I immediately recognized. His landscapes are beautiful on a computer screen, but seeing the big print up close can make you feel like you're in the scene.

5. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    Saw the Adams exhibit at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta in the 1980's. They also had some of Edward Westons work on display.
    Needless to say I was impressed by both.

At one of the photos we were standing beside some guy I thought I recognized and said good morning. He acknowledged and commented on the works and we moved on.

My wife said it was Kenny Rodgers, the singer. Come to find out he is quite the accomplished photographer himself having studied under John Sexton.
    I have signed copy of one of Rogers' "coffee table" books somewhere.

http://sportsandentertainmentnashville.com/kenny-rogers-the-photographer/

• Like Like x 1
  6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    What astounded me was the tonal range and detail that never comes across looking at his images in books.

OT, but related to what kauphymug said about Kenny Rodgers being an accomplished photographer. Another singer whose photography is quite wonderful is Bryan Adams, the singer. He's quietly been taking on a second career as a fashion and celebrity photographer and has already published three photo books.

http://bryanadamsphotography.com

His latest exhibit, "Wounded: The Legacy Of War" is quite stunning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ese-soldiers-and-the-consequences-of-war.html

• Like Like x 1