Just received my E-M10. Outstanding! E-M10 vs E-PM2

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
For all intents and purposes, E-M10 is only slightly larger than E-PM2. I value compactness over ergonomics but not always willing to compromise on features. Oly E-M10 is a no-compromise compact camera:
- pro level controls
- bright and large EVF
- high resolution large and bright 3:2 tilting touchscreen
- impressive wi-fi implementation and iOS app
- built-in flash
- fully metal body
- high end look and feel
- very effective IBIS for both stills and video
- full featured time-lapse mode
- auto HDR mode which stitches images in-camera

I briefly tried E-P5 and sold it shortly after. E-P5 looked good in pictures, but in hands it's kinda clumsy, boxy camera which is thick and heavy especially for the form factor. E-M10 feels significantly smaller in hands and is much closer to E-PM2.
image-4001068532.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Love the silver/black color. Looks great with both black and silver lenses and accessories. Silver Oly 45 is precise color match (so is FL-300R).

image-2626983177.jpg
image-2858648748.jpg
image-3555441076.jpg

IBIS is absolutely amazing with both Oly 45 and PL25. I am able to shoot at 1/5s. The IBIS noise is quieter than E-P5 (which bothered me a lot).

Love the wifi feature which seems to work faster than E-P5 for both file transfer and live view. This may be due to newer, faster processor in E-M10. Shutter is a bit quieter than E-PM2.

image-1709029653.jpg

Negatives:

- frustrated by the apparent lack of LCD auto-brightness adjust. EVF has it but not LCD? Is it 2014?
- Unfortunately, the tilting screen is a clumsy, thick one, like on E-PL5 and not the thinner, simpler type from E-P5 (or Sony Nex) LOVE the ability to share batteries and charger with my E-PM2. Perfect dual body combo, if you ask me. Can't wait to shoot with it this weekend. We'll report more!! P.S. I never liked E-M5 design but I absolutely love E-M10. Maybe the hump size makes all the difference?

svtquattro

Mu-43 Veteran
Nice little review! I wish they had named it differently, as I remember how much of a letdown the OM-10 was as compared to the OM-1/2/3/4/4T from the 1970-80s. The E-M10 isn't like that at all.

Anthonys

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Anthony
Don't suppose you get any rattlesnake noise with the PL25 like the EM5 had? I guess there is always the Olympus 25mm now if there is.

How is the build compared to the pen mini? I read it was the same and a step below the EM5?

sushi

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Syukri
Don't suppose you get any rattlesnake noise with the PL25 like the EM5 had? I guess there is always the Olympus 25mm now if there is.

How is the build compared to the pen mini? I read it was the same and a step below the EM5?

When I use first used E-M10 + PL25 combo, I was surprised on how much rattlesnake noise it produced (compared to my GX1 + PL25 combo). But after turning off the "Flicker Reduction" setting, it's not a problem anymore. It makes the same amount noise like when it was mounted with the Panasonic GX1.

I haven't held a Pen Mini before, but I really like the build quality so far. Feels solid, in my opinion, better than the GX1.

sushi

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Syukri
And congrats to OP on your new E-M10, hope you enjoy it as much as I do :smile:

BAXTING

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bradley
I've owned most of the Oly m43 bodies and the EP5 is by far my favorite. I think Ive been selling myself short by not trying the EM5, and now the EM10 also looks to be a great do it all camera.

I will say though the EPM2 is way too small in "my" hands without a leather case and Id say the same the same about the EP5. I dont even have big hands but these cameras are so small its hard to hold them with one hand and a non pancake lens.

The EP5 is my first Oly body I wouldnt sell even if I made a profit. I think its that good or it just fits me.

There is no doubt this EM10 will turn some heads

dombi

Mu-43 Regular
Agreed, the E-M10 is an awesome little camera.
I've had my GX1 for a few years now. I was quite happy with it. It was simple to use and it took pretty good images.

For purchasing the E-M10, price was a big plus in my case. I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on a new E-M1, and it was also much larger than the GX1 that I was used to. But still, I wanted a similar IQ as the E-M1. And this is where I think Olympus made the right decision. They are offering image quality similar to the E-M1 at a much more affordable price level.

Overall I am quite impressed with the new camera. I had to spend several hours understanding the menu system, but now I feel pretty confident with it.
And what is more important that the camera takes amazing images. I've been tweaking its settings to achieve the OOC jpeg quality of my liking, and I think I am almost there.

If I am in a quiet room, the IBIS noise is a bit on the louder side, but other than that everything works as should.
The images are sharp. And previous Lumix lenses work just they did before, if not better.

Coming from Lumix, I was a but worried, because I really got used to the GX1.
But I feel that I am 100% satisfied with the new system, and its capabilities.

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
Don't suppose you get any rattlesnake noise with the PL25 like the EM5 had? I guess there is always the Olympus 25mm now if there is. How is the build compared to the pen mini? I read it was the same and a step below the EM5?
No rattling on either E-PM2 or E-M10 cause I turned off Flicker reduction. I don't believe E-M5 has this option The build quality is fantastic. Feels better than any Oly camera I owned including E-P5. It's all metal including pop-up flash housing. Quite impressive. It feels very premium. I can't imagine anyone can be unsatisfied with E-M10's build quality. I don't like to buy cameras at launch especially knowing how much lower Oly prices go down after a few months. But somehow E-M10 is well worth the full price and feels more expensive than it is.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Only for you.
My pocket says different.

I understand his point. Neither the E-PM2 or (in my case) the EM5 fit in my pants pocket. Both fit in my coat pocket (not simultaneously :rolleyes:) or a small bag (Domke 5XA). Therefore, they are the same size in my world. I suppose I could go looking for a pocket that holds the PM2 but not the M5, but why do that?

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
Only for you.
My pocket says different.

LOL I was wondering about this too. I checked out the camera size comparison tool (http://camerasize.com/compare/) and they really aren't the same size; in fact, the EM-10 is a lot closer to the EM-5 than it is to the PM2, especially with that hump. Now mind you I haven't actually held the EM-10, but given its specs I can't see it replacing my PM2 as a slip-in-the-pocket kind of camera that I take everywhere.

It's obvious people have different ideas of what constitutes "small". To me, it means I can actually carry it in my pockets, both jacket and pants. That rules out the EM-5 and EM-10, and even the PM2 with anything but a thin pancake lens (e.g., Panny 14mm). I understand that many people don't like cameras this small, but I do.

sgreszcz

Mu-43 Veteran
For all intents and purposes, E-M10 is only slightly larger than E-PM2. I value compactness over ergonomics but not always willing to compromise on features. Oly E-M10 is a no-compromise compact camera:

- very effective IBIS for both stills and video

Hi Art,

Have you done a comparison between the E-PM2 and E-M10 as far as video quality output? I have an E-M5 and E-PM2 and have been seeing more artifacts in the E-PM2 video output. I have sharpening dialed down to -2 on both cameras when shooting video, but the E-M5 output seems smoother, more film-like and less like video.

I have been thinking about replacing my EM-5 and E-PM2 down the road with a pair of E-P5 or E-M10 when they drop in price or if I can find them used/refurb. I love the size of the E-PM2, so I'm thinking about the improved tiltable EVF VF-4 on the E-P5. Everything else points to the E-M10 as all the other features, less EVF are newer. Does focus peaking work in video mode with the E-M10?

leungw

Deal Hunter
Real Name
Willy
I have had mine for a couple of weeks. It's my first Oly and I think it's a great camera. My only two negatives....
1. I don't have big hands and I feel the grip is on the small side. The optional grip is great but it's an additional $60.
2. Still waiting for Lightroom support....

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
LOL I was wondering about this too. I checked out the camera size comparison tool (http://camerasize.com/compare/) and they really aren't the same size; in fact, the EM-10 is a lot closer to the EM-5 than it is to the PM2, especially with that hump. Now mind you I haven't actually held the EM-10
In equivalent comparison, the bundled flash makes E-M5 appear larger and uglier (big hump+ clumsy flash). E-M10 - built-in flash, smaller hump. I like to have access to flash for fill outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
... I suppose I could go looking for a pocket that holds the PM2 but not the M5, but why do that?
My trouser pockets are that size, it can't be too uncommon.
Heck some of my trouser pockets hold an e-P1 with rounded OVF, but the eyecup on the back of E-M10/E-M5 and even G3 just spoils all the pocketability : which is my point explained a bit more.

DL Photo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Dave
dombi, please share what you've tweaked for better jpeg OOC jpeg quality. Cheers.

Overall I am quite impressed with the new camera. I had to spend several hours understanding the menu system, but now I feel pretty confident with it.
And what is more important that the camera takes amazing images. I've been tweaking its settings to achieve the OOC jpeg quality of my liking, and I think I am almost there.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I just tried. The E-PM2 with the 25 fit in one pocket of my overalls and the EM5 with the 45 fit in the other pocket. This makes me a very well equipped farmer-photographer.

Latest threads

Top Bottom