1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just received my 45s

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by slothead, Dec 12, 2012.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Here are two test images for the two 45s I just received. Needless to say I am amazed at the difference!

These are both straight out of the OMD - no PP at all.

Here's the Oly 45 f/1.8
    PC120109.

And here's the Panny 45 f/2.8 Macro
    PC120110.

Neither of them are what I would consider "clean" but the Panny seems to be significantly better.

Thoughts?

2. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    It looks like the white balance is way off and the focus is on different areas (iphone case sharp in the oly, soft in the pany). I had both lenses at one point and couldn't find any noticeable difference between them at the same settings. If you need macro then obviously the pana wins if you only want one lens. However, the oly 60 f2.8 macro is weather sealed, cheaper, sharper, and longer so I would pick that up if you're looking for a macro. Just my 2 cents.

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Something is wayyy off in the first pic.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I agree about the focus - I noticed the iPhone box too, but there were no adjustments between the lenses (e.g., WB). I will be examining this in more detail, but whatever it is, it is lens (or focus) dependent because that is all that was changed. Having said that, I suppose it is possible that the target (focus point) caused the white balance to change (can it do that?).

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The first one is cloudy, like it just came in from the cold : condensation, vaseline, pair of tights maybe. Sharp on the foreground.

The second one : is anything sharp at all? AT least the contrast is right : not cloudy.

I can tell you I have NEVER seen anything like that first picture from my mZuiko 45mm.

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I strongly suggest that you run antoher test, and try to control the variables as much as possible. I do not have access to the WB info., but your shutter speeds are not identical for both shots. Also, do you normally underexpose all of your shots by 2/3rd's of a stop?

--Ken

8. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    This test is invalid.

Fix WB, focus on the exact same thing or infinity, and put it on a tripod. Take the test on wide open on both as well as stopped down.

9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    A new set of test shots. Whoever first noted the WB, you are right. I never ever take shots indoors and I assumed that the camera was set on auto WB. It was on daylight. The following shots were taken with the WB setting on incandescent.

And the exposure was biased at 2/3 stop down. That happens to me a lot because I reach for the knob to adjust the aperture and I end up changing the exposure. The following were zeroed.

These are all handheld and the best attempt at focusing on the same spot was made - not easy with this camera.

One other set set of errors was made with these shots, but I'm not going to post any more (it really isn't worth the effort for me). These shots were all accidentally made with the 2X electronic zoom function (trying to improve the focus). I also found the auto WB after I took these shots and I am not going redo them just for that.

Finally don't get yer panties in a bunch about this guys. This is a quick and dirty comparison. If you don't like it, fine. I'm getting a lot of info from it for my purposes (which are pretty basic since I don't yet know how to use this camera to its abilities).

Oly 45 @ f/9.0
    PC120122.

Oly 45 @ f/2.8
    PC120123.

Panny 45 @ f/2.8
    PC120124.

Panny 45 @ f/9.0
    PC120125.

10. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    That looks a lot more like what I would expect :D

And I don't think anyone was getting upset at you, just upset for you ;) We know that these are good lenses and wanted to help you to get the most out of them! Hope you enjoy them and have fun shooting!

11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Tom ..these pics are faulty and Oly 45mm 1.8 is one the sharpest lenses across all formats in this digital era. Please try again and see .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :eek:
    Good for you, but you ARE posting these in a public forum for other forumites to advise upon.
    Like/dislike doesn't really come into the picture, but if you're a decent person you should try to reciprocate the help that's already been given.

Both of your F2.8 lensalign pictures look almost identical, with a slight focus point difference.