1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just purchased my first M43 camera, help me get a nice piece of glass...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by PhotoPat, Jul 15, 2012.

1. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    Hi there!
    New to the forum, sort of, as in i have been reading here for awhile trying to decide if i wanted to buy a m43 camera.
    WELP... I have been convinced by all the great talk on this board and i broke down and purchased a camera.
    I have a panasonic GX1 on its way to me in the mail and i cant wait.

I have just a couple of questions about adapting lenses that i was hoping someone could help me out with.

I own the canon ef mount rokinon 8mm fisheye lens, should i sell it to buy the m43 rokinon 8mm? Will there be a difference in focal length between the two lenses?

Does the aperture/ f stop change when adapting a lens? Say i put a Canon 55mm FL f/1.2 on my m43 camera. I have seen the Lumix 14mm f/2.5 test shots and they seem to give great bokeh. Do i need a 1.2 lens?

Can someone point me in the right direction for a nice mid length prime lens that would give me close to a 50mm focal length on a 35mm? Also something that wont break my bank, at the absolute max at $300?

Thank you in advance! Like I said, I am super stoked on getting this camera and trying out all of the lenses that are available for these cameras!

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The Konica Hexanon 24/2.8 is an amazing lens that'll run you around $200 in good condition and gives you a 48/2.8 on m43.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    Awesome, thanks for the reply. At 2.8 will that still give me a nice bokeh effect? Since i have to basically buy a wide angle to get the focal length im looking for, its hard to find a faster lens than 2.8.

4. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    1. Both lenses have actual 8mm of focal lens. The angle of vision on m43 will be equal to the angle of vision of 16mm on full-frame cameras. (That is what I can tell you. Probably you want a more knowledgeable answer)

2. F-stop remains the same. On a full frame you will have less DOF at same F-stop. For m43, it will be the same DOF at same focal length and F-stop.

3. I do not know what the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 goes for in the US but it should be a bit above your mentioned budget. I have an old Nikon 24mm 2.8 AF-D which is fine and should be not too expensive - it is built for in-body screw AF and not many Nikon cameras support it. I guess there are many legacy alternatives in the 24mm 2.8-3.5 range.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    So basically im thinking i should just stick with my canon ef mount and buy the adaptor since nothing will really change by buying the m43 rokinon.

Thank you for explaining the f stop question to me.

And thank you for the lens suggestions.
    I have been looking at the lumix 20mm and i definitely want it hahaha its just a tad bit out of my budget at the moment.

Thanks again.

6. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Canon EF to m43? Well focusing and changing aperture could be problematic if you mean to use EF mount lenses. Canon FD lenses on the other hand adapt nicely to m43 and other mirrorless cameras (MILC's).

7. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    The rokinon 8mm is a fully manual lens. manual focus, manual aperture per aperture adjustment ring.

Its a super sharp lens, and i love it. im just wondering if there would be any difference in adapting it or buying the m43 mount version which is also a fully manual lens.

8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7565355084/" title="The White Queen and the Red Lady by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7565355084_0df9d4c911_b. "1024" height="680" alt="The White Queen and the Red Lady"></a>

This was at f5.6 I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    You can calculate the effects on DOF here: Online Depth of Field Calculator

At 3 feet distance, 24mm f/2.8 has 0.4 ft DOF vs 20mm f/1.7 with 0.34 ft DOF. That difference is negligible. 25mm f/1.4 gets 0.18 ft DOF, and 50mm f/1.8 gets astounding 0.06 ft! Focal length matters a lot for DOF, which is why it is so nice to use a 50mm with m43. The 20mm f/1.7 Panasonic's strength is low light rather than DOF.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    oh wow! that looks awesome! thank you!

11. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    Thanks for that link and the info! Very helpful.

12. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2011
    In your price range you could pick up either sigma 19mm or 30mm 2.8 as well. With legacy primes in the "normal" focal range for m4/3 you will be limited to about 2.8 anyway so a sigma isn't giving up much. You aren't solely limited to manual focus. A sigma 19mm or 30mm, pana 14 and a legacy 50 could all be acquired for right around 300-350.

I have always been happy with my Canon FD mount lenses and I would bet a 24/28mm 2.8 would do well for you. Probably could be had for less than 50 for the 28 and 100 for the 24. M42 lenses are usually reasonably priced as well. I think it is wise to try out a bunch of focal lengths to see what you prefer before going all out and buying nice expensive lenses.

In fact I think this listing in the marketplace would be an excellent start.

https://www.mu-43.com/f17/legacy-glass-kit-29769/

13. eno789

eno789 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2010
    Bay Area, California
    Brian
    I have Nikon/Minolta/Canon FD 24mm f/2.8, but I rarely use them on m43. I use those on NEX much more because I like the ~35mm equivalent focal length. You probably can get a good adaptable 24mm for ~$150. But on m43, the 20mm pancake is just faster, smaller and nicer, I'd consider that.