1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just purchased GX1 body, need lens advice

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by iso640, Jan 13, 2013.

  1. iso640

    iso640 Mu-43 Regular

    33
    Jan 13, 2013
    DC
    I've looked through numerous threads (including the lens archive), searched the forum for a similar thread and couldn't find one.

    I'm torn which native lens to get: Oly 17mm, Panny 20mm or 14mm. I'm liking what I'm seeing from all the photos in the examples threads. I've purchased some manual lenses to go with the camera but sometimes I'll need/want autofocus for street photography (just starting out with manual).

    Do I just go with the cheapest at this point? Is the Oly slower to focus on the Panny body (think I read that somewhere)? Which is the fastest focusing? Which is the quietest?

    Please help me make up my mind! :)
     
  2. Livnius

    Livnius Super Moderator

    Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hi.

    There is no Olympus 20mm....you may be refferring to the Olympus 17mm, there is an older pancake and the new f1.8 which I have along with both the P20 and P14.

    Of those I'd say the P20 is the one to go for....a very versatile high quality lens with a bit of a cult following (for good reason).

    GX1 + P20 ? .....awesome combo.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Steven

    Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

    May 25, 2012
    USA
    Either the new Olympus 17mm/1.8 or the Panasonic 20mm would be great. the Panasonic is more compact, but the Olympus is faster focusing. Pick your poison :smile:
     
  4. yoshi234

    yoshi234 Mu-43 Regular

    52
    Nov 20, 2010
    West Hollywood
    The panny 20 is on my GX1 90% of time. The other 10% is split between the 14 and Oly 45.
     
  5. Ned

    Ned Mu-43 Legend

    Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    m.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8
     
  6. stripedrex

    stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

    374
    Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Looks like you're going for compact and dual purpose for video? I personally I haven't used the 14 or 17 (either variant) but can say I love the 20mm. I've had 4 of them lol, it's on my GF2 80% of the time. It is a bit slow (by m43 standards) to focus and does make a racket focusing which you will hear in videos. Other 20% if I'm outdoors in good lighting I have the PZ 14-42X which is exactly the same size as the 20mm and gives me zoom and crisp pictures. Albeit I hear the 'double image' problem of the X lenses are most prominent on the GX1 due to it's strong shutter. I've had 2 copies with no double image problem. Sorry last bit was out of topic.
     
  7. snaimpally

    snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

    572
    Dec 31, 2012
    Check the Panny 20mm f1.7 lens thread - this is very close to a "normal" lens for many. Also check the Olympus Body Cap Lens thread. For $50, you might as well get it.
     
  8. iso640

    iso640 Mu-43 Regular

    33
    Jan 13, 2013
    DC
    Thanks all! I went with the Oly 17 2.8 for now (found one for under $180 with free shipping). Next paycheck, I'll look into the Panny 20.
     
  9. Dangermouse1968

    Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

    169
    May 26, 2011
    Excellent work, but you might want to go for something a little different for your next lens??. The 20mm is not that different from 17mm me thinks. Apparently, the sigma 30 mm is supposed to be very good and not that expensive so you might want to look into that. of course, if you found yourself with a little more cash the Panasonic Leica 25 mm is supposed to be very very good ("Leica rendering", faster AF, wider max ap but not pancake).

    Enjoy whatever you get and more importantly what you have!
     
  10. LeoS

    LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

    517
    Aug 6, 2012
    Tell us your budget, we'll tell you how to blow em! :biggrin:
     
  11. Al.

    Al. Mu-43 Veteran

    372
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    I have just got a 19mm Sigma for £99, very well built, quick and quiet focussing, think the 30mm is the same price
     
  12. Anthonys

    Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

    167
    Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    Yes, out of the primes I was going to say the Sigma 19mm.. or even Panasonic 14mm; probably best bang for buck street lenses.

    The Pana 20mm is faster, sharper and more expensive but not great for video. The Pana 25mm is coming down in price, and the new Olympus 17mm 1.8 looks interesting. The Sigma 30mm is a bit longer but can be bought for a very good price and looks really sharp.
     
  13. iso640

    iso640 Mu-43 Regular

    33
    Jan 13, 2013
    DC
    I was really torn between the Panasonic 14mm and the Olympus 17mm and in the end, price won out.

    I eventually want to get the Panasonic Leica lens but I'll also be shooting with manual lenses once my manual skills increase. That said, when I get more money I may find myself buying the 14mm lens.