1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Just purchased a HOYA 135mm f/2.8... quick question.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Y-V-E-S, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    Hi all. I just won a bid for a Hoya HMC 135mm f2.8 Lens in M/SR Mount. Is this the same mount as the Minolta MD MC!? I wanted to make sure before I get the adapter for my EPL2.

Thanks.

2. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    GOOGLE is my friend. LOL. SR mount is the same as the MC/MD mount.

3. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Yep, I was in the same boat as you with my 400/6.3. I've got an eBay SR-4/3 mount and SR-u4/3 mount. I would have to say that the u4/3 one is better.

4. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    So I received the lens and the adapter and did some test shots outdoors. I found there is some ghosting/flaring going on. It's more predominant when I stop the lens down. The built in hood doesn't work very well in stopping the flaring I'm going to purchase a longer telephoto lens hood to mount on to see if that will help. Will a long hood help with this? I'm questioning myself if it is the adapter itself which is causing it. Well here are some examples. First picture wide open to the last picture which is at f/22.

_8022114 by yvesgajardo, on Flickr

_8022115 by yvesgajardo, on Flickr

_8022116 by yvesgajardo, on Flickr

_8022117 by yvesgajardo, on Flickr

_8022118 by yvesgajardo, on Flickr

_8022119 by yvesgajardo, on Flickr

Of course this only happens when shooting under direct sunlight. I just want to figure out if the lens is in need of a lens hood or if the adapter is to blame, or it could be something else I don't know about.

5. Are you shooting through a window?

6. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    window open, just the mesh screen. I don't think the mesh screen would have any effect like that.

7. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    Here's a shot wide open I took a couple days ago around 6:30am. Sun is directly to my right. Not shot through a window.

_8022095 by yvesgajardo, on Flickr

I'm hoping its not fungus. I don't see any fungus in the lens.

8. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    Here's one inside with a corner lamp. I believe this is at f22.

_8022124 by yvesgajardo, on Flickr

Only happens when I have the lens at a certain direction from a light source.

9. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I once had an adapter which caused a lot of flare with Nikon lenses, so maybe you could check if the inside of the adapter is matte black. Mine was shiny black. Replacing it by another one cured the excessive flare. I now use cheap adapters for my Minolta lenses and didn't run into problems yet.

To me your pics show a huge amount of flare indeed. I've used some old third-party 135mm lenses and they performed very well at around f/5.6, no problems like shown here.

Edit: you say somewhere you have shot through a mesh. Have you tried shooting outside?

10. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    My first couple of pics were through mesh screen, then I posted those other two which were not. I'll check the adapter if it has some shine to it. I might need to look for another adapter to see if that is the problem.

11. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    I figured out what it was. THere is a tab on the bottom of the lens. The light was reflecting off of that which was causing that flare. I painted that part a flat black as seen here.

6024245305_e1a7e0b9d1_z.
    _8082308 by yvesgajardo, on Flickr

Now there is no flare!! WOOT! I'm just waiting on the telephoto lens hood which should help out A LOT more.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    That tab should be the auto part in the automatic lens description.

13. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    That tab was the culprit for my lens flare problem. I have no use for it on digital maybe I should just remove it completely?