Just purchased a Epson V850 Scanner and found out no longer supported by Mac

Bit of a rant I know, but a real let down today after buying a scanner from my local photo shop. Epson v850 Pro. From the way they talked I don't think they knew about the apple situation either.

Just purchased a Epson V850 Scanner and after installing the software via the web installer. Tried to use it and found it did not have any features apart from scanning documents. :doh:

After a bit a a google search found out the last apple update broke the software and it is no longer available for mac. I purchased this scanning as I liked the software. Far easier to use than other more complicated software packages and better results for general film scans according to some reviews. No interest in the cut down version of silverfast that came with it, to hard to use and missing many Epson features. Also no DVD drive to install it anyway.

Epson don't make any mention that they are trying to fix their software, just telling you to use apple software that there is no manual for and no idea what features it has for film.

Don't know if I can return it as not fit for purpose. Really disapointed as it was not cheap and looked to be the best option for my use case. :(

I would feel happier if Epson indicated they were working on fixing their software, but alas not.

Edit
Noticed on the Epson USA page that new drivers should be coming. But no timeline
Until then I will try to resurect my old Win 7 box that died

Last edited:

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
Not unusual. Japanese brands have never provided good support for Macs. They have and continue to be a Windows solution with Macs treated, at best, as second class platforms.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Epson's software is crap and has always been crap, which is why they bundled Silverfast. What most people recommend is going with Vuescan -- for my purposes I've been happy with Apple's Image Capture.

EDIT: Epson's software was useful for folks who didn't already have image editing apps but they knew hardly anyone used their app, no doubt why they haven't gotten around to making it 64-bit (assuming that's the problem?). Also, you should be able to download Silverfast for free if you want to check that out.

Enjoy your scanner, I love mine.

Last edited:

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Let me second the suggestion for VueScan. I've used it for years quite satisfactorily. I've tried Silverfast several times but I've been turned off by its complexity as well as the cost (which is high and borders on the avaricious - you would also need a second license for a different, second scanner, etc.) It's more than likely that VueScan will do everything you need and do it well. It has a few annoying quirks, mostly to do with file naming, but the resulting images are worth it. I found a very good way to shorten the learning curve is to read The VueScan Bible by Sascha Steinhoff (Rocky Nook). Highly recommended. You can have it as an e-book, which is to say, immediately.

Last edited:

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
Apple announced Big Sur over a year ago, it was released to the public over 8 months ago. While I'm not a fan of major updates and resulting "issues", Epson certainly had plenty of time to prepare, and they did not (as is usual with their software). I'd say it is more of an Epson problem than an Apple problem.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Japanese brands have never provided good support for Macs.
On a side not from the subject of this post, it was Olympus's support of Apple computers (before the first iMac, before USB ports, when Apple was a fringe player) that got me into Olympus Digital cameras when the few other digital cameras at the time didn't have support other than for Microsoft.

WRay

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ray
I'm having to maintain an old Mac mini just to use my printer and scanner neither of which has 64 bit drivers! Really the equipment makers' fault not Apple's!

Hamrick and VueScan will solve your issue.

Epson and scanner/printer manufacturers have lost huge biz in the last decade and are not supporting "older" models as a way of forcing new sales.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom