1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just purchased a E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SVENS1, Apr 11, 2013.

1. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    It was time to do an upgrade. I found it to be a nice camera, loads of functions. Going to take some time getting used to it. Did experiment with close-ups yesterday.
    The picture below is an item that was only 12mm in diameter.

Attached Files:

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Welcome to :43:. What sort of camera are you upgrading from?

3. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Have been using a Sony DSC-H10, which works excellent. Since I am doing lots of close-ups of jewelery that she sells on Etsy. Thought The e-PL1 would be much nicer and the price was right. I did find out afterwards to get those nice shots, would need a macro lens to get the 1:1's. Working on that now....Otherwise the 14-42 lens is fine.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    One nice thing about :43: is that you can use all kinds of lenses with the right adapter. The native macro lenses (Panasonic Leica 45mm f/2.8 and Olympus 60mm f/2.8) are great, but they are not cheap. There are a whole bunch of good quality old macro lenses that would work really well for what you want to do. They're going to be manual focus, but that shouldn't be a major issue when you're shooting something that's not moving...particularly if you've got the camera sitting on a tripod.

One option you might consider is the Canon FD 50mm f/3.5. You should be able to pick up one of these plus an adapter for $100 or less.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - Legacy macro lenses work just as well and cost considerably less. :thumbup:

6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
  7. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, looking at all the help I can get, still lots of questions, the manual more or less stinks, the on line help is better.

Still can't figure out where this setting is:
    first step to using any PEN camera is to turn OFF Live Control and Live Guide, and turn ON Super Control Panel (SCP) for all modes.

Question of about the macro scene settings, I don't see much you can adjust.
    Any way to get the flash to always fire? All I see is auto, never wants to flash when I could use it to.

I did order a used copy of e-LP1 for Dummies. Lots to learn, see lots of potential with this camera.

Thanks

8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It's in the D Menu under Control Setting.

The Scene Modes are just pre-configured collections of settings that you could also replicate by hand.

Change to fill in flash if you want to force it.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Congratulations! - You're in for some real fun! :2thumbs:

10. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    You don't need to set it for iAUTO or ART/SCN. PASM is where it works, although I am used to Live Control.
    MENU > Gear > D > Control Setting > PASM
    Macro just sets a smaller aperture to get depth of field. For macro, you want a lens that can do macro .

Set the flash for FILL IN. Like most compacts, the lightning bolt button denotes flash, It's on the right arrow. Press that and you see the options.

11. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    E-PL1 is my favorite Olympus camera for clarity, sharpness and colors and there is alot to learn about it. I shot jpeg with it for over a year and
    then recently discovered I could get even clearer and sharper results shooting RAW and resizing the image in Olympus Viewer 3.0 and adjusting the
    white balance and tone curve to my liking:
    [​IMG]

12. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, lots to learn about it, it's been a busy week and foul weather so I really haven't played with too much since last Sunday. Guess I am just waiting on the maco lens. I should take it outside and play....