1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just pulled the trigger on an e-pm1, now need lenses!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by monkeymagic, Apr 12, 2012.

1. monkeymagic

monkeymagic Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    Hi,

First let me say this site has been a tremendous help. I currently have a canon dslr and quite a few lenses, but I was by chance linked to a thread on this site about people who have moved from dslrs to m43 and did not look back.

I really want an em5 but I can't afford it right at this moment and it will take me some time to unload my dslr gear. By chance I saw a refurb epm1 with the kit lens and bought it. I figured that even if I get an em5 eventually, I could use the epm1 as a pocket camera with its smaller form factor.

I am searching and reading furiously. What is a good prime lens for now? the panasonic 20 1.7? somewhat pricey for me but it seems to be well liked. Any other essential lenses?

Thanks and again this is a great site.

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The P20 and Oly 45 are probably the strongest overall offerings around. Beyond that, it's more a question of what you want to shoot than any particular must-have options.

3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Depends on the FOV you're comfortable with, but the 20mm has by now achieved a "legend" status (in my opinion). I love it, and it's the lens I've been using the most. It's not a bad place to start (esp since you said you want to treat the epm1 as a pocket camera).

The 45mm is also very very good, however unless you have a very large pocket... :smile: Also, if in case you're a guy with indeed a large pocket, there's still the off chance that people might have other ideas about the short barrel-shaped protrusion in there. :biggrin:

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Lumix 20mm f/1.7 is the fastest of the pancake-form lenses, which will be a good match for your E-PM1 now and in the future. When you get an OM-D, then you'll still have a pancake lens to mount on your E-PM1 for the smallest camera possible. I'd say it's a great place to start. Very nicely sharp lens.

5. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I mostly use my 20 on my E PM1 because of the small form factor, and I love the fov and great images it produces in low light.
    I find that Oly lenses tend to have faster AF.

6. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    Be willing to help you out with a oly 45 if you like them, mines not needed anymore. Otherwise I'd say it's brother 17mm. So fun to scale/manual focus with and great build.

7. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    20 was my first m4/3 lens, and the only one I used for a whole year. It's sharp, bright and small. I love the Panasonic-Leica 45mm, but if the 20 is already seeming expensive, I'd probably go with the Oly 45 instead (it's half the price).

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Start with the 20, especially on the compact EPM1.

9. monkeymagic

monkeymagic Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will be on the lookout for a used 20 1.7. I see some for around 350-370 used on various sites.

ETA: IS the panny 45-200mm a good zoom? Is the Olympus 40-150mm $100 better? Thanks again!

10. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    If you're patient, you can find as low as $300 used. Heck, brand new is $339, sometimes $359. In my opinion, there is no reason why you should pay more, unless you really really really need one and you don't have much options.

11. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    With my EPM1 I shoot the Olympus 12 2.0, 17 2.8, 45 1.8, and kit lens. Very happy with these lenses. When you purchase the 12mm just factor in the cost of the hood as the real price. Same with the 45mm, the hoods are over priced but they do make a visible difference.

12. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    I like how compact the Panasonic 14mm is on the E-PM1, and the price is very reasonable from Ebay with all of the kits parted out. That coupled with the Olympus 45mm is a very nice combo, with a wide and a fast portrait.

13. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    You can get a refurb ep3 with 17 2.8 combo for 660. That's another option. That's the same price as the EPM+Kit Lens+Panasonic 20 1.7.

A Ep3 will hold value a bit more than the PM1 when it comes to resell it, to get the EM5 or EM6 or whatever's next.

14. TeeZeeMee

TeeZeeMee Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    BAMA (RTR)
    it is crazy to think that we have to keep pace with the introduction of new technologies all the time! :eek:

haha I would say shoot what ur comfy with though, i love my ep3 but i can see where it may not be for everyone. value is value and eventually even the em-5 will depreciate some...may be a long while, but a while none the less

haha in that mean time my CD will build interest for a M9 :thumbup:

15. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I have a friend with an M9.
    I wouldn't trade my EP 3 and 12 for it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I think keeping up with tech has really slowed down the last few years. One could say I actually went backwards going from a 5DMKII system to a Pen Mini but you know what? My clients don't care what I shoot with and since I don't make prints larger then 20X30 it really don't matter to me.

Funny thing was before I "downgraded" to the Pen Mini I was looking at leasing a Hasselblad system for my business. After having some heart to heart conversations with my clients I decided that going to med format was not the best move.

So by using the Pen Mini I saved about $30,000 :smile:

17. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I would, and then I'd sell it and get every known m4/3 body and lens ;)

18. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Where can I get one in the US at that price?

19. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    "I have a friend with an M9.
    I wouldn't trade my EP 3 and 12 for it"

Tell him I will! :)

But I have to say that using my EP3 is the best camera from an "enjoying photography" standpoint I have had in the digital era - Starting with the Nikon D100 when it came out to the D7000. The last time I enjoyed shooting so much was with my M6/Velvia... a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

• Like Like x 1