Just Printed My First Large m4/3rd images....

Discussion in 'Printing' started by grcolts, Jun 25, 2015.

1. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    I took two of my images my wife wanted to put up in her office, and blew them up large. One I printed at 16x20 and the other 24x30. I did not really know how they would come out. Well, yesterday they came in the mail and was I a happy camper! Those images came out so good that I would not be afraid of printing even larger sizes. One image was shot with a kit lens and was very impressive. Right now I also have a DSLR system but after seeing the quality of those m4/3rd prints it may be in danger of going bye-bye!! :)
    GR

• Like Like x 6
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Prints are a great leveller across formats. A friend and I took almost the same shot of DUMBO in New York back in Jan. Him on his D810 (36Mp FF) with 85mm f1.8 prime, and me on my E-M5 with Pany 35-100 F2.8. Pixel peeping at 100%, there is more detail and less noise in the D810 version. Printed at 16x20 it's impossible to tell which is which (although most people who look at both prefer mine because I worked harder on the PP!).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    This doesn't surprise me in the slightest, I'm really pleased that you are happy with the results.

You can print at much larger formats than some people would have you believe. I've had test images printed from a 3mp Fujifilm FinePix 6900 @36"x24" and they looked great (not perfect, but still very nice).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've printed 24 x 24 and 24 x 36 canvases from 6, 10, & 12mp DSLRs with out any issues so 24 x 30 from a 16mp m4/3 should not be a problem at all.

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    No surprise here either and I am glad you got a chance to see this first hand. No matter how many people will tell you it makes very little difference between formats when printed, you only truly believe it when you see it for yourself.

I have 2 images, 20x30 I had printed from my EM1 and 40-150/2.8 PRO hanging in my living room right now. Absolutely fantastic images and the quality is top notch. I even printed some 8x10 of some bird shots i took a few days ago on the EM5 Mk II at ISO 6400, and you wouldn't believe how people talked about the detail.

You now know that you can shoot with your m43 gear with confidence, knowing that the prints will hold up.

6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I've had similar outcomes from M43 and various other cameras with even smaller sensors. The image quality is excellent and I'm not afraid to print more large images in future - except my wife doesn't want me plastering the living room walls with huge prints, regardless of their quality.
    I used to make large prints from 35mm slides and negatives. The images always drew approving comments and had less resolution and more grain than the pixilation that we have from the 4/3rds sensors. The naysayers need to do some real world photo viewing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    24*30 with a 16MP M43 camera is absolutely fantastic, I've had mine too from a G6 & P25 1.4 wide open, not even at the sharpest aperture but it came out beautiful.

I even printed big with ISO 6400 files from G5, all you need is a quality image with careful PP :biggrin:

8. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    We used to have a 42" large format printer in our design office. With a 16mpx file from my old 4/3 e5, I went 40x30 a few times...Looked great from 3' to 5' away. I also have a 7 shot vertical stitched pano that is close to 10' long hanging in the office shot with the same camera. And then there was a billboard with a single 4/3 that looked great...but that's a totally different process (and viewing audience).

The largest I've printed with the em1 is 18x24, with excellent results...no reason why I couldn't go larger...other than no wall space left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    Yes, the old quote "seeing is believing" is certainly true with these images I printed. And, all of you are correct in that I can now shoot with confidence using m4/3rds without having to wonder how they are going to look when printed. If you have not done so already, I would suggest taking a favorite image and making a large print to see for yourself what I and others here are talking about...
    GR

10. plaatje

plaatje Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    We mostly print our photo's for our books, size about 30 by 40 cm. some are blow ups so I thought give it a try and now their is one photo on our wall size 60 x 80 cm. It looks great and was made with a Pen and the PanaLeica on it. For our books we use also the Oly xz-2. For me in our books I don't notice any difference between these pictures and the Pen pictures.
    Maybe I should try a 60x80cm from the XZ-2 some day. . .

11. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    You make a good point in that viewing distance is critical. You definitely want to have a proper viewing distance to the size of the print.
    This link gives you an idea on the viewing distance chart they have put together:

http://www.photokaboom.com/photogra...ch_resolution_print_size_viewing_distance.htm

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    you certainly can, I used to print A3 size with JPGs from 1/2.3 sensor P&S

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Yep...I've got a 20x30 from a Fuji X10 on my wall, absolutely beautiful. You do your part and a little photoshop magic....booyah!!!!!!!!

14. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  15. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Church & Motherhood springs to mind...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Yeah, don't forget the apple pie, but I'd be very proud of myself for capturing a shot like that. He has a video of the shoot posted that's worth a watch.

More to the point, it was shot with a 16mp sensor.