Just Preordered an Air A01

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by slothead, Jun 30, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I can imagine many many ways I can use this device. I can't wait to get it and experiment with it. Has anyone here seen the thing 'face-to-face'? And what phones/tablets will it work with (it sounds like anything)?

The only drawback that I see is that its battery is internal. I hope there is some way it can be statically powered (ac adapter).

• Like Like x 4
  2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Nice. Look forward to hearing your experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    That thing looks amazing! I too look forward to your experience with it.

4. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    I'd love to have one to play around with. It seems to be USB charged. I'm hoping it can charge and operate simultaneously. Any old USB battery would do, if thats the case.

5. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Going off it's size and the fact it only comes with a USB cable and no charger, I'd have to say it runs off a 3.7v battery and is charged by any USB 5v source...

So you should be able to hook it up to one of those little power banks and do cool timelapse, continuous recording etc. :2thumbs:

I reckon one of these will be on my Father' Day hit list or maybe from Santa if they're not available in Oz by then...

6. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Looks interesting but how do you use it without three hands? Perhaps mount it like A Go -Pro?

7. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Hmmm... Why would you need three hands? I see only two needed - one for the camera/lens and one for the iPhone.

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    On the Android side, the hardware compatibility is difficult to determine currently, since the app appears to be locked to the Japan market (presumably). If I go to download it from the Google Play store I get a message that says it's not available in my country (U.S.).

I would think given the "open source" nature of the product that the hardware compatibility would be pretty broad, but unless we've got any Android users in Japan (where the app is presumably available now), it's difficult to tell.

9. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    This is an interesting product for sure. I can already think of some use cases for myself, but not enough at this point to justify dropping $300. Plus, I don't have an iPhone or an Android - I have a Windows Phone... :eek-31:

10. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I don't get everyone saying it's too expensive...?

How many brand new m4/3 bodies can you buy for $300...?

11. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    There's a video review out there on you tube...it made it sound like it needed a good bit of refinement. Might want to see you can find the video.

12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I will probably get one. It does not have an external power supply. The battery is recharged via USB but according to one review can be run off those USB battery charger things.
    Z-olympus-air-usb-battery-600.

Here is the review BTW - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-air-a01/olympus-air-a01A.HTM

I also don't get why everybody thinks it is expensive. I figured it would be $500-$600 when it came and was happy to see the $299.99 price{which will probably be $199.99 come December}.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    $299 on release is a good price. I could see this begin really nice with a eye-glass viewer. Star Trek fans could shoot "Borg-style".

15. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I haven't played with it face to face, but the OA Central app works on my iPod Touch and can be downloaded from the iTunes App store. Best way is to buy a power pack for it with dual USB ports to run 2 devices. I got one from Costco for $39.95 can charge my phone and iPod a few times really quick and I would assume the AIR as well.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  16. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    For those with an Apple Watch, there's an app that lets you control this Olympus Air.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    It's interesting and at $299, the risk seems quite low. Besides, I have a number of micro four-thirds lenses I can use on it. So I preordered one this week as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I've ordered mine as well. $300 for this is a steal. I'm going to try and find the YouTube vid, but it's not going to make me cancel my order unless there is something drastic about it. Heck, I've got boxes of cigars that cost as much as the Air!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Here's the link to the review from several months ago. After watching this, and reading the great review above, I've got to wonder what this guy thought he was getting. It's NOT a replacement for his EM-5 but he sure acts like it should be. The ONLY thing that I agree with is the lack of ability to change the battery. I've had at least two computers that didn't have interchangeable batteries that died way before the manufacturer said they should. That being said, that was a long time ago. I've got an iPhone 3 and iPad 1 that are still going strong after YEARS of use, with no end of battery life in sight. Imaging Resource says that their is a little lag, but they also found a way around it. I'm wondering if there was some tweaking done between this release and the US release? Maybe? In any case here is the review. Watch it in a quiet place as the volume is awful. I don't know this guy, so that's another reason to take it with a grain of salt.

Heck, I've got 30 days after I get it to send it back if I just hate it.

20. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Oh, I bought two of the RavPower chargers this week. They work like a charm!!!