1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just Popped for a 17mm f2.8

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dcisive, Apr 8, 2010.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    they have a great instant rebate on that little guy and I just caved. I called B&H today and ordered it along with some step rings and ND filters for my experiments in bright light. Since the PL1 has that limit of 1/2000th at the shutter speed it is a good idea to have a nice filter to cut down the light when needed. Just in case I come across a waterfall and want that milky look as well. I have most of my filters standardized as 52mm since my D5000's lenses typically use that size. So I have Circular Polarizers in that size already. Hence the 46-52 step ring for the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and a 37-52 step ring for the new 17mm f2.7 Pancake lens. I ordered a dedicated 40.5 2 stop ND filter for the kit lens as I already got a circular polarizer for the 40.5mm size. They are quite inexpensive in that size fortunately. I popped for all B+W filters except the CP which is a nice Hoya. My 52mm circular polarizer is a "Moose Warming 81A Circular Polarizer which is pretty sweet. Can't wait to get them on a nice sunny day, which we are due for this weekend :whoo:

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

You are an addict.:wink: I see that the 17mm has a $50 rebate which brings the B & H price to $230.95.:smile:

I should really check out a polarizing filter, myself.

3. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Congrats on the 17mm.. I love that lens, you can look forward to those great Zuiko colours this lens give! Perfect for the summer..

4. flacko_man

flacko_man New to Mu-43

Apr 6, 2010
    Me too

I had all but decided on the Panasonic 20mm but thought that I already have the 4/3 PanaLeica 25mm 1.4 (much bigger I realise but focuses well on the E-PL1)...and given the new low price on the Oly I'd go for it instead...one for the pocket. Time will tell whether or not I've made the right choice.

I pushed the go button a few hours back. B&H should get it to me in Oz in less than a week if experience is anything to go by.

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

That price makes the decision easier. Enjoy.

6. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    saw that instant rebate too ....sweet

7. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I've seen as much praise as I have criticism of this lens. Some say it's not sharp in the corners, and has excessive CA and barrel distortion. But for some reason all the images I've seen posted taken with that lens are nearly magical. Sweet colors, rich detail and contrast. So I figured for that new price how could I go wrong. It might end up on the PL1 more often than not. The 20 Panny is just unreal, and for low light it is THE go to lens, but I figure it was just too inexpensive to pass up. Especially if it performs. I'll be sure to check it out this weekend with our nice weather coming and shoot some flowers coming up to see if it is a performer. I'll be sure to post them as well.

8. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i like the 17 and use it alot, i wish iit was made of metal but its a fine performer , i agree

9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The 17 with the finder is pure pleasure on the street.
    I never listen to bad comments about it. It performs wonderful and the contrast is really nice.
    Great stuff!

10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I've really thought about getting this lens as the prices have come down. The panny 20mm is raved about, but with the prices for the 17mm coming down, not sure if I can resist.

11. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I just couldn't resist for a mear $230 bucks. I tested it out tonight and can confirm it is scary sharp wide open and surgical stopped down, and yep.....it's got those yummy Oly colors. Just DO IT...........

12. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Get the finder if ya can.....
    Get it...

13. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i have the optical finder and it really makes a difference , feels really good in use
    shooter makes a good point .... get it , if ya can