Just picked up a GF2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, Aug 4, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Clearly I have a thing for cameras that live in the shadow of other more popular models as I have just picked up a Panasonic GF2 to come live with it's "unfortunate" cousin the G2. Together we three shall make lovely images. If any GF2 owners are out there...do you have any tips for setting it up? I am familiar with the general idea as it is very much like my G2 but it never hurts to get advice.

While I am waiting for mine I checked out one from Classroom Services at the university (I work there). So I suppose this would be my first GF2 image...

GF2+20/1.7 (and some help from Silver EFX2)
    • Like Like x 3
  2. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    BTW...can a screen protector be placed on a GF2 touch screen? If so, any suggestions? I like GGS glass screen protectors but I imagine that wouldn't work with the touch screen.
  3. j0sh818

j0sh818 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    Nice shot! Congrats on your new GF2!

I am using a Lexerd Truvue Anti-Glare screen protector on my GF2 and its great.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I knew you'd get the GF-2. ;) Nice shot.
  5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah it just seemed to right fit what I wanted...although I came close with the E-PL2. I think what swung it was the slightly smaller size, video and most of all my familiarity with the G2. Now back to making pictures.

6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Nice camera, dixeyk.... I'm sure you will really enjoy shooting with it! Post more pics when you can.
  7. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    I am using Zagg Invisible Shield hand cut from bigger universal piece of foil. Works perfectly :thumbup:
  8. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hey Kev,

Does it look like this one?

9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I just got one too - the Unique Photo special with the 14/2.5. I've got the 20/1.7 already - just need to add the Oly 45/1.8 and I'll have a great travel kit...
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I'm trying to resist the smaller cameras like the GF2 (or maybe even the GF3). With the 14mm lens attached, it would be silly-small, and really pocket-able. Going to an outdoor concert today with my much-loved EP3+14mm, but one of those tiny bodies would be just the ticket.
  11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Great shot!

I love the facial expression. I'm sticking with Olympus - partly because I love the retro look, but mostly for the IBIS. The IBIS has allowed me to hand-hold the legacy lenses I've added - which is already hard enough when holding the camera at arms length. (The viewfinders are expensive and spoil the look of the camera.) :biggrin:
  12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

You know I have a G2 but want a second :43: body and cannot decide if buying an E-pl1 or something like GF-1 or GF-2. Certainly IBIS should be important but so many other things also.

How is IQ on the GF family? And GF-2 is like G2 or better at high iso?
  13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Think G2 in a smaller case, less hard controls and no EVF. I got it because there are times I wanted something akin to an LX3 that I could just pop into full auto and forget it. I really thought about it a lot because I figured one of my bodies should have IBIS and such but the GF2 is so tiny and it fit very well in the hand that I gave in (Alan's killer deal didn't help my ability to resist). The two bodies really compliment one another. A lot of us also have a point and shoot fo some kind...mine just happens to be a GF2 and I can use my lenses on it.

I was fortunate to be able to test the GF2 and E-PL2 side by side for an extended period and while the E-PL2 has a bit better IQ, IBIS and some very nice features make it stand out but (for me) the small size and the fact that it is familiar given my experience with the G2 made the GF2 more attractive option. Think of it as a "super point and shoot"...The GF3 and E-PM1 seem to be evidence that the manufacturers see the demand for such a beast.

FYI...the E-PL1 is a nice camera but the lower resolution screen and button controls are something you will want to try out if you can before you decide. It is a very capable piece of gear but the handling is a bit too point and shoot like for my tastes. The attraction of the new "super point and shoot" (SP&S) cameras for me (ooooh I hope that catches on) is the step up in handling. The GF2 for instance has the thumbwheel just like on the G2. It may not seem like a lot but for me it was HUGE.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Sort of.....................yeah........................how'd you DO that? :eek:
  15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks for you explanation. I already owned an E-pl1 and vwas very pleased with it. Gave it in and took a K5, but as you see, I returned to m4/3. I'll take a look at prices and then make a decision. I love the white E-pl1.
  16. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Then it would be a great choice. I never had any issues with it's IQ or performance. You can pick up a low mileage E-PL1 these days for very little. It's a terrific bargain.
  17. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I wonder if E-P2 would be a better choice than E-PL1 right now as the prices are pretty much the same for both. E-P2 has better build quality, 1/4000s shutter speed coupled w/ISO100 (much easier shallow DoF in the sun w/o ND filters) and more efficient IBIS system (1 stop more effective which is very useful for zooms, macro and legacy lenses). Also, I think E-P2 will outlast most other cameras due to its solid build and will remain great backup body after we upgrade.
  18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'd love taking a E-p2 but here the prices are still very high so I don't even think unless I really find a great bargain, same for the E-pl2.
  19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hey! How come they didn't give me the option of THAT kit lens? :biggrin:
  20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    surprisingly easy to use legacy glass

GF2 with OM50/1.4 @F4
    • Like Like x 4