Just ordered...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bahnzii, Mar 20, 2013.

1. bahnzii

bahnzii New to Mu-43

Mar 20, 2013
    First a thanks to everyone...I've been researching mirrorless cameras for a while and you guys and gals helped me make up my mind, finally :rolleyes:

I ordered the E-PL5 today and it will be here tomorrow...gotta love Amazon Prime. I would have tried to support a local brick and mortar but there are just none around my area.

Are there any firmware updates or settings tweaks that you recommend?
    I'm going to read up on some threads for bags and straps but any recommends are welcome.

Can't wait to see that happy Brown delivery truck tomorrow :thumbup:
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I love my E-PL5 and I'm sure you will too. I'd suggest you look into the following once you get it:

- Mysets - these are a fantastic feature and work superbly on the E-PL5 since they can be assigned to settings on the mode dial (unlike on the OM-D). I've got mine setup something like this:

A - Myset 1. Landscape etc mode. Aperture priority. 'Back button focus' (actually using the 'Rec button), S-AF, no face-detection. One shot.
    P - Myset 2. People. Aperture priority. Focus on shutter release, S-AF, face detection. Slow-speed continuous.
    S - Myset 3. Moving stuff. Shutter priority. Focus on shutter release, C-AF. High-speed continuous.
    M - Manual mode, plus focus settings as for Myset1/A
    SCN - Myset 4. As Myset 1, plus HDR. 5 shot, 1-stop.

- Setup 'Info' button for shooting to show histogram and shadows/highlights.

- Turn off all the junk guide modes etc (just IMHO)

- If you do long exposures, the live time/bulb feature is great. Have a play with it.

- Buy the VF2. In bright light (outdoors), the rear screen is almost unusable.

- Get some good lenses. The sensor is great so it deserves good glass.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bahnzii

bahnzii New to Mu-43

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks pdk :thumbup:

It just arrived...time to charge it up :2thumbs: