Just ordered my second native lens - Panasonic 14mm f2.5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ramirez, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Hello again dear friends in this forum!

I became so impressed with the first native lens I ordered, the m.zuiko 14-42 IIR, that I couldn't help myself... The 14-42 felt so much lighter than my zuiko 25 f2.8 pancake for standard 4/3, so I thought that the 14mm would make my camera setup (E-P2) super-light... A real street photography camera!

I pushed the order button and I am now waiting for the 14mm prime :) 

What I expect from the lens:

A light and compact system to carry with me at all times...
    A lot of fun with the prime lens! (I am a prime guy, not a zoom guy)

What do you think of the 14mm prime? (the ones that own it or have used it)

Admin, please move this thread where it belongs. I seem to have placed this thread on the wrong place, sorry about that.

2. davidw

davidw New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2012
    holiday in Hong Kong
    I bought my 14mm 2.5 lens 3 weeks ago. I love it. it is way better then the kit lens.
    Like you. I have it on my EPM1 and its very portable. I no longer need to have a flash
    99% of the time.

3. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I love the 14mm f2.5. It's really fun to use and focuses closer than the kit lens. I am enjoying using prime lenses and seeing how that stretches my creativity. Enjoy!

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    ^5 ... you will love the 14mm.

1244307423_HbZCF-O.

1245299038_9Y2ks-O-1.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
    G

• Like Like x 5
  5. davidw

davidw New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2012
    holiday in Hong Kong
    after I bought the 14mm. I bought the olympos 45mm last week. :)  start saving now.

6. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I'll do that! I just thought that the 14mm combined with my adapted 4/3 25mm f2.8 with the 45mm would make a pretty good prime setup :) 

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've gotten great pictures with the 14mm and it is a fun lens. I'm considering selling it though, because I got the 20mm recently and I'm finding that despite the slow AF and external focusing, it does the job even better. The 45 is fantastic too.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I've always preferred the natives myself :smile:

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    I bought the 14 as my second m43 lens. Everything else is OM glass. Beyond being tiny and great, the 14, having internal focus, also works well with a cheap wide-angle converter I have. I still have to get the Samyang eventually, but it makes it easier to wait. My only regret is that I didn't buy the 14 sooner.

11. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Nice Pics Gary.. awesome! I love the lens.. I have one..and for the Price.. wow.. cheap I think.. everyone should have two.. LOL..

• Like Like x 1
  12. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    That is the same set-up I've just started using. I bought the 45mm in October and the 14mm is my birthday present ( a couple of weeks early). Now, if Oly would just bring out a small, light f1.7 to f2 lens at about 25 to 30mm........

I've looked at the 20mm but I spent too many years shooting with old 55 or 58mm lenses on 35mm for it to feel natural to me........

13. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Very nice samples.. Love my 14 also...

14. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
  15. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Worried about firmware update for the 14mm lens

I have had the 14mm a few days now and I am really satisfied with it, I finally got a pocketable setup!

Today I updated the firmware on the lens, I read that the lens should become more silent with the update from Panasonic that is intended for video recording.
    I read on different forums that the update had gone wrong for different people.

And now I am a little worried myself.
    I used the "Olympus Camera Updater" and after the firmware was applied (I could read "OK" on the camera display, then I selected "continue updating" (or something like that) and the "Olympus Camera Updater" crashed. Then I pushed the on/off button on the camera to shut the camera down (instead of pulling out the USB-cable like the guide for the firmware updates says). After I pushed the button I pulled out the USB-cable.

Then I connected the USB-cable again and started the "Olympus Camera Updater" again to see if the firmware was applied and it was. It said that I don't need to update.

After that I have used the 14mm and I imagine sounds on the lens and the camera... It works ok like it did but I dont remember if the 14mm had a strong startup focus sound, mine has now after the update.

I hope that nothing wrong happened because I did'nt pull out the usb-cable before pushing the off-button...

Please calm my nerves... Please. :frown:

16. A drive-by shot of the new Margaret Hunt Hill bridge (Santiago Calatrava design), Dallas, Texas. Exif data disappeared on flicker.
    6682638365_0aa9e75e0c_b.
    Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge, illuminated by Capisce, on Flickr
    GF2, Lumix G 14 2.5, ISO 800, 14mm, -0.7 EV, f/5, 1/2, 4,000 x 3,000, jpeg.,4.3MB
    transcribed from iPhoto. Entire upload GPS and exif gone on flickr.

17. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think you are good here, no worries. The camera and lens are responsive and the lens is reporting back the updated firmware.

18. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    And does the 14mm lens make a lot of noise (soundwise) when turning on the camera? I can feel some vibration... like wrr wrr

Is that normal?

19. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    What I like about my 14mm:

- very fast autofocus
    - compact and light
    - nice picture quality

What I don't like:

- hate its manual focus
    - no bokeh
    - not that fast even at 1600 ISO
    - the aperture seems to always be moving, even at Manual or A-priority mode.

20. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Does the moving aperture make some sound?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.