Just ordered my second native lens - Panasonic 14mm f2.5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ramirez, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Hello again dear friends in this forum!

I became so impressed with the first native lens I ordered, the m.zuiko 14-42 IIR, that I couldn't help myself... The 14-42 felt so much lighter than my zuiko 25 f2.8 pancake for standard 4/3, so I thought that the 14mm would make my camera setup (E-P2) super-light... A real street photography camera!

I pushed the order button and I am now waiting for the 14mm prime :)

What I expect from the lens:

A light and compact system to carry with me at all times...
    A lot of fun with the prime lens! (I am a prime guy, not a zoom guy)

What do you think of the 14mm prime? (the ones that own it or have used it)

Admin, please move this thread where it belongs. I seem to have placed this thread on the wrong place, sorry about that.
  2. davidw

davidw New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2012
    holiday in Hong Kong
    I bought my 14mm 2.5 lens 3 weeks ago. I love it. it is way better then the kit lens.
    Like you. I have it on my EPM1 and its very portable. I no longer need to have a flash
    99% of the time.
  3. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    I love the 14mm f2.5. It's really fun to use and focuses closer than the kit lens. I am enjoying using prime lenses and seeing how that stretches my creativity. Enjoy!
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    ^5 ... you will love the 14mm.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
    • Like Like x 5
  5. davidw

davidw New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2012
    holiday in Hong Kong
    after I bought the 14mm. I bought the olympos 45mm last week. :) start saving now.
  6. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I'll do that! I just thought that the 14mm combined with my adapted 4/3 25mm f2.8 with the 45mm would make a pretty good prime setup :)
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've gotten great pictures with the 14mm and it is a fun lens. I'm considering selling it though, because I got the 20mm recently and I'm finding that despite the slow AF and external focusing, it does the job even better. The 45 is fantastic too.
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I've always preferred the natives myself :smile:
  9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Love the 14...it's a tremendously useful lens.

...pretty sharp too.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    I bought the 14 as my second m43 lens. Everything else is OM glass. Beyond being tiny and great, the 14, having internal focus, also works well with a cheap wide-angle converter I have. I still have to get the Samyang eventually, but it makes it easier to wait. My only regret is that I didn't buy the 14 sooner.
  11. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Nice Pics Gary.. awesome! I love the lens.. I have one..and for the Price.. wow.. cheap I think.. everyone should have two.. LOL..
    • Like Like x 1
  12. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    That is the same set-up I've just started using. I bought the 45mm in October and the 14mm is my birthday present ( a couple of weeks early). Now, if Oly would just bring out a small, light f1.7 to f2 lens at about 25 to 30mm........

I've looked at the 20mm but I spent too many years shooting with old 55 or 58mm lenses on 35mm for it to feel natural to me........
  13. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Very nice samples.. Love my 14 also...
  14. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    the 14mm is a great walkaround lens

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Worried about firmware update for the 14mm lens

I have had the 14mm a few days now and I am really satisfied with it, I finally got a pocketable setup!

Today I updated the firmware on the lens, I read that the lens should become more silent with the update from Panasonic that is intended for video recording.
    I read on different forums that the update had gone wrong for different people.

And now I am a little worried myself.
    I used the "Olympus Camera Updater" and after the firmware was applied (I could read "OK" on the camera display, then I selected "continue updating" (or something like that) and the "Olympus Camera Updater" crashed. Then I pushed the on/off button on the camera to shut the camera down (instead of pulling out the USB-cable like the guide for the firmware updates says). After I pushed the button I pulled out the USB-cable.

Then I connected the USB-cable again and started the "Olympus Camera Updater" again to see if the firmware was applied and it was. It said that I don't need to update.

After that I have used the 14mm and I imagine sounds on the lens and the camera... It works ok like it did but I dont remember if the 14mm had a strong startup focus sound, mine has now after the update.

I hope that nothing wrong happened because I did'nt pull out the usb-cable before pushing the off-button...

Please calm my nerves... Please. :frown:
  16. A drive-by shot of the new Margaret Hunt Hill bridge (Santiago Calatrava design), Dallas, Texas. Exif data disappeared on flicker.
    Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge, illuminated by Capisce, on Flickr
    GF2, Lumix G 14 2.5, ISO 800, 14mm, -0.7 EV, f/5, 1/2, 4,000 x 3,000, jpeg.,4.3MB
    transcribed from iPhoto. Entire upload GPS and exif gone on flickr.
  17. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think you are good here, no worries. The camera and lens are responsive and the lens is reporting back the updated firmware.
  18. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    And does the 14mm lens make a lot of noise (soundwise) when turning on the camera? I can feel some vibration... like wrr wrr

Is that normal?
  19. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    What I like about my 14mm:

- very fast autofocus
    - compact and light
    - nice picture quality

What I don't like:

- hate its manual focus
    - no bokeh
    - not that fast even at 1600 ISO
    - the aperture seems to always be moving, even at Manual or A-priority mode.
  20. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Does the moving aperture make some sound?