1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Just ordered my first native lens - Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42/3.5-5.6 II R

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ramirez, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I ordered a used one for 99€. They had also the OLYMPUS M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42/3.5-5.6 II (without the R) for 59€.

Is the lens with the R better than the one without?

Should I cancel and order the one without the R?

Otherwise I'm glad to find M.Zuiko lenses for good prizes :) 

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The only difference between the 14-42II and the 14-42II R is the styling, and the fact that the R comes with a newer firmware version. You can update the 14-42II to the newer firmware though, making them functionally identical.

Personally, I'd save the 40 euro.

DH

3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    The 59€ lens wasn't the II version...

I just saw that the 59€ 14-42 was the first version. Then I should stick with my order?

There are some differences between the first and the second version, aren't there?

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 All-Pro

The first version is a slowly focusing design. You paid a fair price, the used R lenses here are sold for about US $160. Just enjoy your lens and stop second-guessing yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Paulo Moreira

Paulo Moreira Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 6, 2012
    Porto, Portugal
    I have the first version and it was a mistake. The lens is terribly slow to focus on my GF1/2 and the build quality questionable. Optically it is fair, but I seldom use it anymore, I prefer to use my Nikkor pancake 1,8/50 or the Tomioka 1,4/55 that give superlative results on my GF's. Somehow, I have the feeling that Lumix and Zuiko lenses are not 100% compatible.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The original 14-42 is slow focusing on any camera. I wouldn't blame compatibility between Panasonic and Olympus.

It shouldn't be too difficult to sell it and buy a secondhand Panasonic 14-42 with the proceeds. The Panasonic, while larger, is far less frustrating to use.

DH

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I have the II R and it actually seems like one of the nicer built lenses, the Panasonic 14-42 and 45-200 don't seem nearly as well put together.

8. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    The lens arrived...

I have tested the lens a little and I must say that I am impressed.

The AF felt faster than my ordinary 4/3 lenses through MMF-2 adapter.
    And the lens is so light and little... And silent focus is also a plus, especially for video recording.

With delivery and all, 120€. The lens is in prime condition. I am very satisfied! This is my first native lens for the micro 4/3 system.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.