Just ordered my first native lens - Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42/3.5-5.6 II R

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ramirez, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I ordered a used one for 99€. They had also the OLYMPUS M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42/3.5-5.6 II (without the R) for 59€.

Is the lens with the R better than the one without?

Should I cancel and order the one without the R?

Otherwise I'm glad to find M.Zuiko lenses for good prizes :)

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The only difference between the 14-42II and the 14-42II R is the styling, and the fact that the R comes with a newer firmware version. You can update the 14-42II to the newer firmware though, making them functionally identical.

Personally, I'd save the 40 euro.

DH

3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    The 59€ lens wasn't the II version...

I just saw that the 59€ 14-42 was the first version. Then I should stick with my order?

There are some differences between the first and the second version, aren't there?

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The first version is a slowly focusing design. You paid a fair price, the used R lenses here are sold for about US $160. Just enjoy your lens and stop second-guessing yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Paulo Moreira

Paulo Moreira Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 6, 2012
    Porto, Portugal
    I have the first version and it was a mistake. The lens is terribly slow to focus on my GF1/2 and the build quality questionable. Optically it is fair, but I seldom use it anymore, I prefer to use my Nikkor pancake 1,8/50 or the Tomioka 1,4/55 that give superlative results on my GF's. Somehow, I have the feeling that Lumix and Zuiko lenses are not 100% compatible.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The original 14-42 is slow focusing on any camera. I wouldn't blame compatibility between Panasonic and Olympus.

It shouldn't be too difficult to sell it and buy a secondhand Panasonic 14-42 with the proceeds. The Panasonic, while larger, is far less frustrating to use.

DH

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I have the II R and it actually seems like one of the nicer built lenses, the Panasonic 14-42 and 45-200 don't seem nearly as well put together.

8. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    The lens arrived...

I have tested the lens a little and I must say that I am impressed.

The AF felt faster than my ordinary 4/3 lenses through MMF-2 adapter.
    And the lens is so light and little... And silent focus is also a plus, especially for video recording.

With delivery and all, 120€. The lens is in prime condition. I am very satisfied! This is my first native lens for the micro 4/3 system.