Just Ordered In Stock Panasonic LX5

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by flyby, Aug 31, 2010.

1. flyby

flyby Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just ordered from Samy's Camera http://http://www.samys.com the new Panasonic LX5 in stock now for $489.00..disregard price on site once you put item in cart price goes down.

It will be delivered tomorrow. I can't wait. I've been staying on top of the release of this camera here in the US and this is the 1st time it's showed up as available and ready to ship. Amazon still shows it as pre-order only.

I know many of you also desire this camera and would love to hear more about it once you too have it. I think the combination of the micro 4/3 GF1 and the LX5 will be killer!

2. flyby

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    LX5 Arrived this morning! All set up and ready to shoot. It's just wonderful! Feels good in my hand..much smaller than GF1! Won't be a problem at all porting the two of them around.

• Like Like x 2
  3. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Sweet, let us know how you use that additional range (compared to LX3)!!!

4. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Have you Posted any of the pics anywhere yet? What are your initial thoughts?

5. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Congrats - very nice compact!

6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Karen,
    How do you find the AF in low light and the IQ at ISO above 800? It's supposed to be improved in those areas but I'd rather hear from you than the sales reps.
    Don

7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    did you get the EVF

8. flyby

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey! you guys..I just got the package yesterday Sept 1st! Give a girl a break! LOL
    Took a couple of hours to charge the battery and then another hour or so to set-up the menu's and begin to play around making adjustments, etc.

My impressions so far...focus is fast and quiet. The camera is small but extremely well built..I love the finger grip as opposed to the lack of one on the others in this category. BillN, I have the EVF because I bought it for my GF1 although I have not used it yet on the LX5.
    I played around with the camera taking some shots with it yesterday. I'll take some more today and post the on Serious Compacts for ya'all to see. So far I am extremely pleased with the pic quality, color saturation, sharpness and the B&W is frankly just lovely!
    Karen

• Like Like x 4
  9. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Hi Karen

sounds good - interested to know what you think of use with and without EVF

Best wishes

Bill

10. flyby

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    BillN

So far haven't felt the need to put on the EVF unlike the need with the GF1. I simply could not see the screen well enough in sunlight with the GF1..so I had to get the EVF. On the LX5..the screen is better or seems to be...I have not looked up the differences between the two in resolution.

I was outside today quite a bit taking pics with the LX5 and was able in all circumstances to see the screen well enough to frame and take pics. I think the glare is quite abit less on this LCD as opposed to the GF1.

So far so good. I'll let you know if things change or I get into a situation where it's not visible enough to frame well.

• Like Like x 8
  11. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Hi Karen, I just picked up an LX5 today and was very impressed with the build quality and image quality. But I'm currently having a little worry, I just pointed the camera towards a bright light source, specifically an energy saving light bulb, and I kind of get some streaks or banding appearing vertically on the LCD screen. But they dont appear on the final image, I wonder if I have a faulty camera?

12. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Hey Vince I think your camera is fine. If the screen doesn't show the vertical lines when not pointed at the light I would say it is OK. What I think you are experiencing when you point the camera at the power saving one light is an effect produced by the flicker in the fluorescent bulb and the refresh rate of the cameras screen. House power is generally AC in current and therefore you get an alternating frequency of 50 to 60 Hz.

That is one reason they don't have fluorescent lights in metal machining shops because the flicker in the emited light can cancel out a spinning lathe chuck- turning at the same frequency.

Hope this helps. If you pointed your camera at a Cathode Ray Tv screen I would imagine you would get the same vertical bar effect on your camera screen.

13. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Your camera is fine. :smile: