Just ordered an EM-5 Elite.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Stevedel, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Stevedel

Stevedel New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2014
    SoNoCal or NoSoCal
    I haven't been a member for very long, but I love this forum (and B&H).

I just ordered an EM-5 Elite to, somewhat, upgrade my Micro-4/3 inventory, which currently consists of a PL-1, G-1 and G-3. I also have a bunch of Pentax Super-Takumar and "M" lenses, which I dearly love, (My old ME-Super days)

The Elite, as are other EM-5s still in stock at B&H, was at such a wonderful price that I can't help but wonder why someone would prefer an EM-10 at a higher price.

Perhaps the Forum members can give me a clue.

(By the way, if someone would make a Micro-4/3, in-body stabilized, version of a Pentax K-1000, I would buy it in a minute.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Arcsylver

Arcsylver New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2014
    Chicago, IL

I just received the exact same camera from B&H myself. this is my first Micro- 4/3 body having finally given up on Canon's EOS M line of Mirrorless ever catching up to modern Mirrorless standards. So Far I am loving it in the short time I have had it. The Oly menus are definitely a bit of a learning curve to get used to.

As for the K-1000. I learned how to shoot on my dad's work K-1000 when he was a reporter. I have one myself that occasionally gets dusted off to run some film through along with my Canon EOS 1 from time to time. The K-1000 is probably the best workhorse manual film camera out there IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stevedel

Stevedel New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2014
    SoNoCal or NoSoCal
    The UPS guy dropped off my little E-M5 Elite a couple of hours ago and WoW, what an impressive machine.

Going through the menus I can see many possibilities, for my old Pentax lenses, that were not previously open to me. I have found that the old M.Zuiko 14-42R lens produced very good images and the newer 14-42 IIR lens should be even better.

However, the quality of the E-M5 itself may require a little bit more of a professional class lens. After I acquire the 60mm Macro, I think that I will need to look at some Pro M.Zuiko stuff. That is somewhat down the road, of course.

Right now I am pleased as punch and can't wait for it to stop raining so I can get out and take some pictures. Maybe tomorrow.

Yes, Arcsylver, I really do miss the simplicity of the K-1000. Just need the basics. Every thing else will fall into place.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    We'll the E-M10 has much later firmware - so has things like MySets assignable to the mode dial, lens IS priority, Live composite, EFCS (0s anti-shake), and many more. It's also got a newer and faster processor. However, the basic camera is not weather sealed so chose your poison.

5. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    To you guys who have bought an EM5 Elite - apologies for what might appear to be scare mongering - not intended as such in any way - however I thought it worthy of a mention that there have been issues with the strap lugs failing on the Elite version - just wanted to make you aware - just so you can monitor the lugs on your cameras - and perhaps avoid a potential problem if yours are affected in the future
    Hope this is taken in the spirit it was intended
    Another trouble with Olympus EM5 :(
    Regards
    Rob

6. Stevedel

Stevedel New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2014
    SoNoCal or NoSoCal
    Thank you, Rob. We'll keep a wary eye out.

Playing with a few Pentax "M" lenses. The E-M5 is quite a bit more complex than the PL-1 and I have a lot more choices as to setup on "M" and "A" mode settings. I'm certain that I can find the setup that suits me.

Merry Christmas, my friends.

7. zigg

zigg New to Mu-43

Nov 26, 2014
    Love the cam, I take it out more than my Em1, not sure why , but it fits in this little bag better , along with the 12-50 and 45-150 and the 20mm and 45 mm .

But was at the Grand Canyon 2 weeks ago and the left hand strap lug gave way, whilst I was handing it to my wife. Managed to catch it in time, but it failed with no warning. Glad it didnt hit the dirt or worse , but there was absolutly no warning.

Everyone should buy a wrist strap as I then had to hold it by the lens for the next 2 weeks whilst on vacation.

8. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Better to hold it in your hand then to put a wrist strap on and have the other lug pull out and the camera hit the ground. Those lugs seem to be designed for a shear force such as encountered when properly using a neck strap not a pulling force such as produced by a wrist strap. Since I first heard about the lugs pulling out, even though my cameras are supported on a neck strap, I don't take any chances but always hold my Olympus cameras in my hand. I don't want to be dribbling cameras down the pavement.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  9. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    Congrats on the new EM-5 Elite! :Welcome::yahoo::dance3: I got mine 6 months ago from B&H for a great price and I have not regretted going with the Oly EM-5 enjoy.

Jim

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    Love my EM5 Elite. My wife has an EM10 which has some nifty features that the EM5 doesn't have, but I get along without them just fine! I find image quality identical between them, so its plenty capable even if not the latest and greatest. With the HLD6 it handles bigger lenses better than the EM10 with grip. Haven't seen the failed lugs on my copy, but one is a little loose (Olympus repair did not tighten it noticeably when I sent it in for shutter replacement). I make sure not to let it dangle by a strap if at all possible...

11. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    The E-M5 Elite is the camera that started me down the Mirrorless/ Micro 4/3 road. It is a wonderful camera. My wife now has mine after picking up a E-M5 MK II. You mentioned picking up some Pro zooms. The Olympus system has quite a few wonderful primes. Take a look at the 25, 45 and some of the others. The two mentioned above are incredible performers and priced great. I rarely use my zooms owning the primes I do. Enjoy your new camera.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

12. MetilHed

MetilHed Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2015
    Jeff
    Is there a difference between the EM5 and EM5 Elite, aside from the texture ?

13. Arcsylver

Arcsylver New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    No difference. Just a nice texruring. Functionally the same.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    The dials on the top of the camera have also been reworked slightly with a slightly different design and edge knurling

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. popcan

popcan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    So now that it appears the EM5 is discontinued, should we be taking advantage of the drop in price? I am really leaning towards grabbing another body.