1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Just ordered a Pany 100-300 OIS! What to expect?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jonathan F/2, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I'm a telephoto guy. I prefer the image isolation and quality of shooting from afar. Saying that...I read all the review, all the user feedback and after a lot of back-and-forth decision making, I decided to pull the trigger on the 100-300! I tried a 45-200 OIS and was sorely disappointed by that lens. All user accounts say the 100-300 OIS is better.

I'm now building my m43 kit which now consist of the G3, GF2, 14, 20 & soon to be 100-300! I'm used to fast sharp glass from my Nikon kit, but since there is no faster alternatives, the 100-300 seems to be my only option. Is there anyone who wasn't satisfied with the 100-300 results? The 45-200 OIS I had wasn't adequate at 200mm. If I stick around 200-250mm, will I be satisfied with the 100-300 sharpness? Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but just want to get some fresh perspective, thanks!

2. John M Flores

John M Flores Super Moderator

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    Looks good, in fact your samples were the ones that really pushed me over the edge to buy it! Though I don't plan to do close-up photography with it, I'll most likely shoot it at infinity quite a bit, so I guess I'm wondering how will the image quality be with further distant subjects? I know the bokeh will be spotty, but that's not really a big deal for me. My main concern is image sharpness.

4. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I think you'll love it

I don't use it as much as my 45-200 due to size and not requiring that much reach all the time, but it sure is fun to work with. Here's a few samples on a G3.

View attachment 172891

View attachment 172892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.