Just made the switch to Micro 43 from DSLR

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by SFbayMicro, Feb 6, 2011.

1. SFbayMicro

SFbayMicro New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2011
    I just got really lucky and found a guy here in SF who bought a GF2 in hong kong with both lenses, the 14mm and the zoom. He sold it to me for 850$. Considering how hard they are to get a hold of right now, I think thats a damn good deal. This is my first micro 43 camera and so far I love it! I also have a canon t2i which is an amazing camera, but i dont ever take it places because its too damn big. I plan to sell the DSLR, and stick to m43 from now on. Next I have to get the f/1.7 lens. Does anyone know anything about firmware hacking? Do you think it will happen eventually for it?
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Welcome. You got a good deal for sure.
    As far as hacks goes....
    There is a fellow that has a hack almost finished but I can't post as admin.
    If you do find it, be forewarned that MU-43.com is not responsible in any way.

What would you like to see hacked anyway?
  3. SFbayMicro

SFbayMicro New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2011
    Right, i take full responsibility. I have nearly everything i own, its almost a hobby. But for this I would like to have more manual control during video. It seems that once you press the video record button the camera just takes over. Being able to adjust iso and what not, would be nice. Also maybe different bit rates, and 24p. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for that. Is it made for the GF2? or is it just for panasonics in general?
  4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Someone else may chime in here.
    I don't trust the hacks although many here have had good luck.
    Keep an eye on the thread and see what gets posted.
    Thanks, don
  5. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Sorry to say only gf1 and gh1 can be hacked.
  6. vtmullins

vtmullins Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 11, 2010
    welcome, good luck finding SOMETHING in the City to shoot.
  7. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome to the mu43 world!

Hope to see some of your work in the very near future..
  8. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott

I would see what I had before I went hacking it. Use it for a few months - it may be all you need as is.
  9. SFbayMicro

SFbayMicro New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2011
    Thanks for all the warm welcomes you guys. I do really love this camera and youre right i dont NEED to hack it right away. It does amazing work the way it is. I guess the only real complaint is the lack of manual controls for video, but its really not a huge deal, It does pretty well in low light and i imagine it will do even better with the f/1.7 lens.
  10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Welcome !!! the GF2 is rather better than GF1 owners acknowledge
    I would learn and use the camera as it is and not Hack it
    the 20/1.7 would be worthwhile addition.
    Unless into serious video the GF2 as is really very good.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SFbayMicro

SFbayMicro New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2011
    Yeah i agree, iv seen a lot of negative stuff said by GF1 owners. I think their bitter and should really give the camera a chance. I love that i can touch the screen where i want to focus and take a picture. Its a great camera, and I think if done right the video aspect is very good too. I did this quick low light comparison with my canon t2i. I will get more/better samples in the coming days.
    [ame=http://vimeo.com/19630310]panasonic gf2 vs canon t2i 1600 iso low light on Vimeo[/ame]