Just Joined!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by ronbin80, Feb 8, 2013.

1. ronbin80

ronbin80 New to Mu-43

I have just signed up for this forum as I am about to purchas a Lumix G5 with a power 14-45(?) lens. I already have an Olympus E30 which has become an orphan due to Oly's change to OMD's and their Pen camera's, and have put most of my Zuiko lens up for sale on E-Bay.

I am a keen bird and wildlife photographer so am interested to know which Lumix long lens is considered to be the best for my type of photograhy, ie long distance work. I would also like to know whether my Oly four thirds lens will work on the G5?

As yet I have not found out how to post to a forum but no doubt will fall into it in the near future.

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    As a rather new system, the µ4/3 lenses haven't reached the maturation of other camera systems and are presently lacking in the long-fast-premium lens category. But, Panasonic, Olympus and third party lens makers are rapidly filling out the full spectrum of native µ4/3 premium lenses.

The best native lens for birding is probably the Panasonic 100mm-300mm f/4-5.6. I'm not a birder so I cannot comment on performance for that genre, but it has the range (200mm to 600mm in FF), and it has good IQ (not great but definitely good to very good). Many state that it is soft on the long end, but mine is very acceptable at 300mm.

Your 4/3 lenses will work on a µ4/3 mount with an adapter. Typically, the adapted lens' AF is slow, to a point where most will manual focus.

PS- Welcome to the forum.
  3. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    Welcome to the forum!

You can purchase an adapter similar to this so you can use your old four thirds lenses on the G5
  4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Welcome to the forum, keep your long telephoto and use the suggested adapter.
    The long telephoto is the weakest point in the :43: as Garry said the gap will close in a couple of years meanwhile you can use your 4/3 lenses.
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would stick with your 4/3 lenses until the system matures a bit more for you to have a complete native set. Which telephotos were you using on 4/3?
  6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Welcome aboard, Ronbin80!

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome to the forum! I have the 100-300mm and it's a really nice lens, well worth a look. :cool:
  8. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.

I have the 45-200 mm lens, but I have moved my bird feeder to be closer to my sun room so I can fill the frame. One nice thing with these new cameras is that you can use that flip out screen, and touch the eye of the bird and it will focus and then shoot. I have not tried it for shooting birds on the wing. Again welcome.
    Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike