Just how weather sealed is the GH3 & 12-35?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by deang001, Oct 13, 2013.

1. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    Having recently picked up a GH3 & 12-35, I was wondering just how weather sealed this combo is for shooting in the rain?

Initially I bought this camera for video, but I just love it for stills as well now ... the weight and ergonomics are such a breath of fresh air !!!

I love shooting street pics especially in the rain where I usually use my D800E & 24-70, but this isn't exactly the most ideal set-up for street. When I say rain, I mean real rain ... not little drops. As yet I have not tested this combo (GH3 & 12-35) out on the rain as I don't think it would survive it.

Now with the release of the new E-M1+12-40 and the videos I've seen where they are just running the camera under a tap, I'm seriously thinking of jumping ship.

The GH3 & 12-35 has no where the level of sealing as the new E-M1+12-40 does it?

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    IM not sure how the em1 is rated, but the gh3 and em5 share the same IPX rating.

3. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    I am not sure either, but judging from some of the videos I saw, the EM1 must be just as good as anything out there such as the D3S etc. I read yesterday that Ming Thiem left it (and the 12-40) under a warm shower for 10 mins while periodically firing the shutter with no issues at all.

That is seriously impressive stuff and a lot of piece of mind for people who enjoy shooting in the rain.

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I've gently hosed my EM5 with the Panny 12-35 on the front. Rain is no problems.

Gordon

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've always wondered what would make a man gently hose his EM5. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    David
    How else would you clean it?

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    :smile: that's a whole other thread........

... it was covered in sand.

Gordon

8. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    GH3 doesn't have IPX rating while E-M5 does, the 12-35mm and GH3 have much less sealing points than E-M5 and 12-40mm. The SD card slot is not sealed on GH3

DSC_03731.jpg

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    I can't fine it now, but when the GH3 was introduced I saw a reference that it was IPX1, the same as the EM-5. The EM-1 appears to be IPX1, as well.

I have seen statements that the GH3 is actually rated at IPX2, but have found no documentation to that effect.

At IPX1, I wouldn't use any of these in conditions I would place a Canon 1D or Nikon D3/4 in.

Oh, and an o-ring is not the only way to keep water out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.