Just how good is Photo Ninja?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by robbie36, Feb 11, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Photo Ninja is a new raw software processor from Picturecode - makers of Noise Ninja. There has been quite a lot of reviews about it saying just how good it is at raw conversion.

Lets get one thing straight raw conversion software typically comes in two parts (1) raw conversion itself and (2) workflow which includes many add-ons such DAM, publishing, printing, external editing integration etc. Photo Ninja is a very basic raw converter (v.1.0) it doesnt even have batch processing let alone all the fancy add-ons.

But I thought I would give it a try in any case. I think LR has the best workflow but I have never particularly liked its RAW conversion. So 6 weeks ago I gave it a trial. To be honest there were somethings I liked about the results and others I didnt. I didnt really get all the hype but I decided to buy it because I was impressed with the way it could bring back highlights especially blown highlights far better than LR or DXO.

Here are 2 examples....

LR -100 highlights
    hl_1_of_2_.

Photo Ninja
    hl2_1_of_1_.

LR -100 highlights
    wd_1_of_2_1.

Photo Ninja
    wd_2_of_2_1.

Hopefully that point is fairly obvious. So what didnt I like? Well colors for a start. Photo Ninja seemed to produced rather saturated colors and poor skin tones.

Anyway that was then. Six weeks later I now know the software better. I have found that that the default presets for colors are pretty aggressive and have adjusted them. I have got to know the details slider better. And now it just seems to do a much better job of pretty much any photo.

Now anyone who uses it obviously thinks it is pretty good or they wouldnt be using it in the first place. But is it really as good as it seems?

2. Carl Radford

Carl Radford Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    I have not tried Photo Ninja but from this images I have to say I prefer the LR ones. They just seem to be more luminous somehow.

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Yes but what you call 'luminous' is just 'blown highlights'.

4. Carl Radford

Carl Radford Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012

They do not look blown on my calibrated monitor. I'd prefer to start from the LR images that you have posted.

5. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

I love Photo Ninja. It's ability to render small details is superb, better than Lr in my experience. It also seems to do 'light' much better. I know that sounds very vague! I do like Lr and use it all the time but PN is just different and sometimes gets much better results for me. Great to have both. It's going to be really interesting to see where Picture Code take PN.