1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Just Had To Share This laugh

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dcisive, Oct 27, 2013.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I'm a bit obsessive and I thought for sure, after just receiving my EM1, that I saw a few shots with a spot in them, as in sensor dust or worse yet crud on the sensor. It was pretty tiny overall, but showed up on the dreaded high F stop sky shot. So I looked at the sensor, and with my previous experience cleaning DSLR sensors, both cropped and ff type, I did not see a speck or nothing. So I blew it out with my trusted canned air. No problem. So once again I viewed the blue sky, and noted it didn't move when the pic was shifted. Hmmm. I don't ever touch my 27" Samsung monitor, if anything I'm OCD. But would you believe it.....there it was a tiny clear spot on my screen. A tiny bit of moisture and lens cloth later and voila' no more spot, and my sensor is pristine clean after all never was anything BUT. It had me going and I had to laugh after that. Just wanted to share that looney moment in time with ya'll as some may just relate to it:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 4
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That's better than my most recent escapade. Saw some dust on my sensor, so I ran into the store and bought some canned air on the way to a prospective photo spot. What I found was a pack with one small can and one large can. Foolishly I chose the small can, sprayed a bit outside of the camera to get rid of any gas, and then blew a nice cloud of it into my sensor because I tipped the can while holding it. A tip: don't use the small cans of compressed air! The gas is much nearer to the nozzle! So my camera ended up out of commission until I could do a whole wet cleaning that night. Live and learn!

3. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Given that canned air has propellants in it, I wouldn't ever point it at a sensor. I never had a spot with my EM-5, and am hoping for the same on the 1. I always turn the camera off and on for lense changes.

4. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I know all about the arguments against canned air. But frankly I've been using it safely now for well over a decade with 100% perfect results. I always allow a puff or two prior to the actual release to clean and establish the can stable prior to doing this. It avoids release of the propellant every time. I have never had a accident for that reason. It is far more consistent and powerful than something like a Rocket Blower and such. You're right though, the small cans to me are worthless and I don't bother with them. Strictly the Falcon Brand from Costco has worked for me. I also use a tightly wound Qtip for my wet cleaning. No expensive Eclipse anymore. Just slowly exhale fogging the sensor up, going from top corner across working my way across and down with a twist off at the final lower corner. Works for me every time if needed. NEver needed it with a mft camera however, only the DSLR's.

5. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm in total agreement, I think the arguments against canned air are overblown (no pun... Okay, maybe it was intended). I've learned my lesson about the small ones though. My wet cleaning technique is similar as well, except I spray a little window cleaner on a q-tip and apply that way, then finish up with more dry ones or the edge of a clean static cloth. Works very well for me.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Well, maybe 99.9%, now. :)

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Don't ever use canned air (unless you want to risk YOUR equipment, I'm not stupid enough to risk mine; I used to use canned air when I repaired electronics professionally, but not in MY cameras!).

My favourite blower is the Giottos Rocket.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I do this all the time when working in Photoshop or Lightroom - "why won't the eraser remove that spot!" :doh:

9. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    This is the attitude I call "overblown." Demonstrably, the worst thing you can do with canned air is easily fixed with a wet cleaning.

10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    And to the OP's point... You guys getting wild with your coffee or soft drinks at the computer desk, or what? My monitor doesn't tend to acquire spots :p

11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They make pills to help with your OCD!:smile:

12. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I wish you luck if you decide to clean the sensor on your E-M1. As you know from posting in this thread, https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=53827 , there is a risk to cleaning 5-axis IBIS sensors that Olympus may not cover if the sensor gets damaged.

--Ken

13. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Yes, but who has handled those pills prior to packaging them??

14. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    According to Olympus you aren't supposed to do wet cleaning on these sensors. They say there is an anti-static coating that if wet cleaned will be removed. You are supposed to return the camera to them for cleaning and to have the coating to be reapplied. I'm too chicken to try this myself (although I have wet cleaned numerous DSLRs).

15. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You call it overblown, but I call it EXPERIENCE!!!

16. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Experience tells me the rocket air blower only actually works on the least stubborn specks.