Just got my OMD... 1st impressions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by asaulo1, Apr 30, 2012.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Just got my OMD from Amazon delivered to my desk today. I was so excited to open the box and go through it's contents. Just as a footnote, I placed my order for the black 14-42 kit on Friday knowing full well that they didn't have it in stock at the time. I previously had a pre order for the silver body OMD but decided about a couple of weeks ago to cancel. I recently came across some $$$ selling some of my other "camera" stuff that I decided to go back in the OMD pursuit. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised when I got an email from Amazon saying that they were shipping it that evening. Anyway, here are my initial impressions of the OMD.
    1. The black OMD is really nice. pics below are from my E-PL1 and I don't think it does justice. It is really small in person. See the pics below with my E-PL1 beside it. I just thought that it would be a bit larger than it actually was.
    2. It weighs more than I thought. It has a nice quality heft to it. Even with the 14-42 lens which weighs next to nothing, it has some nice weight to it.
    3. Build quality is nice. Looking at the body panels and doors, they have somewhat precise movement. The only think I dislike is the feel of the buttons. Not only are they small but as some have already mentioned, they definitely have a "squishy" feel when depressed. I know that this has something to do with weather sealing so I understand but the smallness of them kinds of make it difficult to navigate some of the other camera functions.
    4. I still have to shoot some images with it but the shutter sound is quite a bit different sounding. It doesn't have that analog kind of thunk to the sound. I don't mind it but I was looking for something similar to the E-PL1 shutter sound.
    5. I am thinking that the grip would be a requirement for this little thing. It's a bit much for what it is but having such a small, heavy mass to hold onto doesn't provide much confidence in one hand operation so I guess I have to save up for the grip sometime in the near future.
    6. The menus are a little bit confusing. Coming from the E-PL1, I just thought that getting to certain functions was a little bit cumbersome. The nice thing is almost everything is customizable and that you can program it the way you want it to.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts on the OMD. All in all, I'm very happy with it. I can't wait to get home and shoot with it and compare it to the XP1.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Congrats! You have 2 of the hottest cameras right now. Glad to see you managed to snag an E-M5.

I relented and cancelled my body-only preorder and got the 14-42mm kit as well from B&H. Should be getting it in a couple of days...
  3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I love the sound of the E-M5 shutter -- silky smooth, buttery. It's music to me ears. The only other shutter sound I like as well is on an old Leica.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I have the Silver model, but maybe I should have waited for the Black.. It looks AWESOME..
  5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    You and Ray S are the only two people on the forum who will be able to tell us how the OM-D shooting experience, still and video image quality compares to the Fuji X Pro One.

So after you've worked with both cameras for awhile, I hope you will tell us how they compare and which camera you prefer for different shooting situations.
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Doug, if you want black I can GUARANTEE that someone will pay you full price for your silver one! :)
  7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i like the black in pictures, and not the silver... but in person, its totally reverse for me
  8. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Quick question- does the EM-5 allow a 'cropped' video mode, like the GH2, with no loss of quality? I can't seem to find the info anywhere, which kind of makes me assume it doesn't.
  9. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    No, the OM-D is aimed at ordinary people, not videographers. Ordinary people want class leading image stabilization and bright and vivid colors. GH2 can't produce hand held video that is this steady, bright and vivid:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86NV6VPbh4]Olympus OM-D 1080i hand held stablization test - YouTube[/ame]
  10. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Will definitely do that.. Haven't had much time on the omd but the smallish buttons are kinda bothersome.. I guess it'll take some time to get used to them. The XPro 1 layout is now kind of familiar so there maybe some bias there. I purchased the optional grip on the XPro 1 and I can tell you that it is a significant upgrade in the handling dept. and that's why I'm leaning towards the same for the omd. Can't say much about IQ as of yet but I've been more than impressed with the jpg files from the XPro 1. I can tell you this, both cameras will compliment each other nicely and with both them in hand, it'll still weigh far less than my dslr kit. I sense more shooting to come in the next few weeks. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  11. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Congratulations on your new toy.
  12. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    So, I was able to spend a little time shooting with the omd and here are a few more thoughts.
    1. Not sure about everyone else but the location of the power lever sucks for me. It's a little counter intuitive to have to reach down the body of the camera with your thumb to turn it on especially if you're "one handing" it. It's makes me feel like I might drop the thing since there's not much to hold onto. More and more, the optional grip doesn't sound all but optional now.
    2. Having both the e-pl1 and the x pro 1's sd and battery compartment at the bottom of the body makes me appreciate the side sd compartment of the omd.
    3. In the few images I've taken with the omd, it is definitely sharp in good light but not as sharp as the x pro 1. And the x pro 1's advantage grows as the light lessens. I will post some sample images soon.
    4. I'm loving the tilt screen but wished that it swivels as well like my G11 ( that recently bit the dust)
    5. Still not used to the "squishy" buttons

Here's my current mirrorless line up taken with my iPhone. More sample images to follow.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I think it would be very instructive if you could post straight out of the camera jpegs of the same outdoor landscape scene shot by the X Pro 1 vs. E-M5 vs E-PL1.

We already know the X Pro 1 is unquestionably superior in low light, but in everyday outdoor shooting does it really produce sharper and more detailed images than a $279.00 E-PL1? And are the Fuji's out of the camera jpeg colors as appealing as Olympus colors? You are in a unique position to help answer these questions.
  14. Sioe

Sioe New to Mu-43

Sep 15, 2011
    Hi, congrats on ur new OMD! Could I request some assistance from u? Could u provide me the height n width measurements of the LCD screen? M looking to order a screen protector and require the exact measurements to have it fit 100%.

Thank u.
  15. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Just got mine today black version, too long to wait for silver version...the store where I bought just got two stocks one of it already ordered by someone else I got the last set. With 6 month installment and 0% interest it's just too tempting to passed.

Now after comparison I need to sell my EPL-1 and GF-1. :biggrin:
  16. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Seems like a nice feature they could've thrown in for free, though. I shouldn't be surprised at a camera manufacturer for limiting the functionality of their camera, as you say it is not intended for pro video. However, Olympus don't have any dedicated or professional video products, at least as far as I'm aware. If they're not competing with themselves, why not make the EM-5 as capable as it can be?
  17. LittleCamCam

LittleCamCam Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I agree with a lot of your points and wanted to post my first impression, as well. :)
    I was surprised as well, and I have tiny hands. Owning a 60D PLUS a Rokinon 35mm f1.4 lens puts a lot of stress on my wrist if I have to take pictures one-handed (like when I have to hold a treat with one hand and take a picture of my hyper-active dogs with the other).
    The weight caught me off-guard, too, seeing how small it was.
    I don't have much of a problem with the squishy-ness of the buttons. It adds to the ninja qualities of the camera. Again, I have tiny hands.

This thing does feel like a dead star (I've never held one, but you get the idea - small, dense/heavy). Coming from a DSLR and never playing with any u4/3 units, I was really pleasantly surprised with the small lens. Now I'm just waiting for the darn battery to charge so I can play with it! :tongue:

However, as I was reading the manual about which card to use, it references P. 103. My understanding is "look at page 103", but it only has 32 pages for the English version. Am I missing something?
  18. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The cropped video mode is hardly 'pro video', I got my T3i and GH2 mainly for that since I need the extra reach for wildlife, but even my lowly GF3 has it. It's nice because you can crop a still after the fact, but video is already rather low in resolution, and cropping in post gets ugly quickly.
  19. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Hello, is that you, Olympus Marketing?

Anyway, it's kind of a bummer there's no "digital TC" mode like the GH2. I don't shoot much video, but I'd love to have this feature when I do.
  20. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    definitely will do that... unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to use it outdoors... will try to do that this weekend since my photog group has a shoot and will definitely put both the xp1 and the omd thru its paces....