Just got my Oly EPL-2 and Panny 20mm 1.7!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by michael68, Apr 1, 2011.

1. michael68

michael68 Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    Hi all,
    Just wanted to get your advice for the best setting for the following:

1) Portrait photography with good bokeh
    2) General street photography

There are so much settings to fiddle with, and I would like to know what are the preferred settings for metering or any other important features to enable or disable?

Thanks very much!

2. fotomatix

fotomatix Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Congrats on the purchase and welcome tot he E-PL2 world. I'm a new user myself. Am truly enjoying my experience thus far....
    I don't have the advice you seek unfortunately but I'm sure several of our expert friends here will be happy to advise. I will most likely make the Panny 20mm 1.7 my next lens.
  3. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    I would would recommend setting up the EPL2 with Pana 20. Try it out and see how it goes.
  4. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    i just got one myself and followed everyone's advice on the panny 20mm. it's my fav lens so far. now i'm looking for my 50mm glass. enjoy it.
  5. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD

I have the EPL-1 so my advice may not be complete.

For one, when you use the Pan20 for portraits, you have to get close but be careful that you do not get too close. The 20mm will distort the face a little if you get too close.

Next, I would recommend learning how to change the size of the focus box on the screen. You can make the focus box much smaller and this seems to help with the speed and accuracy of focus.

Also, learn how to zoom to the focus box for focusing. This lets you verify focus before you shoot. Occasionally it misses.

Also, the super menu is nice (at least I think so). This setting allows you to push the menu button and bring up many of the general settings in a matrix that you can move around in and change things. Its a one stop settings overview.

Sorry I don't have all of the details with me to set these things up. They are relatively easy to find and setup if you know what you are looking for.

The only other advice I can give is to try and keep the ISO below 800. I typically shoot in aperture priority and change it accordingly to get the ISO and shutter speed combination that I can live with.

Have fun with the new camera.
  6. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD

I have purchased some old 50mm lenses and adapters for my EPL-1. Focusing has not really been too much trouble and I have found them to take very nice photos. They are almost as sharp as the olympus micro four thirds lenses that I have. The photos could be considered better than the micro-four thirds glass in many cases when you take into account the lower ISO numbers and higher shutter speeds that you can get with the older (fast) 50mm lenses.

My favorite lens so far is the OM 50mm f1.4 lens.
  7. michael68

michael68 Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    Thanks, I am still playing around with the Panny and was impressed with the depth of field. I will be trying portrait soon and hopefully will get decent results! Wish me luck!