1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just got my Oly 45mm! Now what hood?...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MrKal_El, Oct 14, 2011.

1. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I finally got my lens!!!!!!!

But I need opinions and thoughts...

I will be using a B+W F-Pro Haze Filter full time on my lens & I have both of these hoods:

RainbowImaging Lens Hood for Olympus M. ZUIKO DIGITAL LH-40 Replacement

RainbowImaging 37mm Vented Metal Hood Shade for Leica

This is what they look like on the lens (sorry for crappy lighting)

6244800013_7ba603b1a4_b.
    Oly 45mm w/ LH-40 Hood by MrKal_El, on Flickr

6245321532_5c529366e3_b.
    Oly 45mm w/ Threaded Leica Hood by MrKal_El, on Flickr

...Personally I am leaning towards the LH-40 style. It hugs the lens closer & looks pretty nice.

BUT...The Leica style is pretty cool too...

What do you guys think? What looks the best?
    What what you put?
    AND, do you feel that w/ the Filter & Leica style that I might get Vignetting?

Thanks again everyone!

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    you can always take a pic of some big white blob to check for vignetting

i like em both
    ive got the round vented ones for all my lenses, and the other for my 20
    i just put on whichever feels right... like shoes :)

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Personally I'm considering picking up this hood:
    37mm DV Sun Shade Lens Hood for Camcorder Silver | eBay
    It looks a little more substantial than the LH-40 replacement (which is really, really shallow), and it matches color :smile: RainbowImaging tells me they've got a silver screw-in coming, but I haven't gotten any details out of them yet.

4. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    Looks good...

BTW...
    It's actually not as shallow as it seems...more of an angle thing in the pic (Also, dont forget, that is the lens cap on the B+W Filter)

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Oh wait
    THAT'S the other ive got
    Here's both on the 20

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    (hit limit on last post for pics)
    Also comes with these
    Squarey one is plastic. Round is metal(rainbow imaging)

Attached Files:

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It's okay, I have one in front of me for reference. It could've probably been a centimeter longer without vignetting at 14mm, from what I can tell. Nevermind being a decent hood for a 45...

8. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    Think that it's not effective enough?

9. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Ken Rockwell told me not to use a Hood at all..period..

10. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    but.. not sure about that..:smile:

11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm not qualified to judge. But it seems like it could've been sized more aggressively. In any case, RainbowImaging tells me they're releasing the new hood in about 2 weeks, so it might be an interesting option if you can wait. I don't know if it will be any better/different than current choices though.

12. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Hoods have a time and place, particularly with wide angle lenses. TBH I think a large part the appeal of this lens is its size, seems a bit weird to whack a hood on it. Maybe you could just shade with you hand when needed?

13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I like the hood for protection's sake, myself. It means I can have the camera off my wrist or shoulder without worrying about bashing the front element into something or constantly fumbling with lens caps. And the 45mm has a nice large front element, just ready to smack into something.

14. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    This!

- Eliot

15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I am kind of amazed by this discussion. The purpose of a hood is to minimize the amount of stray light (not part of the image) that gets into the lens. Once in the lens, despite the designers' best efforts to produce perfect black coatings, some fraction of the stray light arrives randomly on the sensor, reducing contrast. (The fact that you can see the rings and ribs when you look into the lens is proof positive that the black coatings aren't absorbing everything.)

A minor value of a hood is to protect the lens from some impacts and occasional things (coming from off-axis) that might try to impact or poke it.

It is not about what looks good or about someone's opinion about whether a hood is "needed" or not. If you don't mind reduced contrast and losing a little protection, then the hood is never needed.

Both those hoods look too short for the 90mm equivalent focal length you are talking about. (My reference point is the Nikkor 105mm that I shot for years. Here's what its hood looks like: Nikon Nikkor MF 105mm f/2.5 Non-Ai Telephoto Lens 105 185401 | eBay) Assuming you bought that lens because you want good pictures, here is how to find out what you need:

Get some black paper, make a tube that fits tightly on either of the hoods. Slide the tube forward in 1/4" increments while taking pictures of a light-colored featureless wall with the aperture fully open. This is best done on a tripod. Record the length of the overall hood for each exposure. Then look critically at the photos (not on the itty bitty LCD) to see where the hood vignetting just begins. That is your desired hood length. If you can't buy a plastic or metal hood that length (surely the OEM offers one), then buy a long rubber one and cut it to suit.

And yes, ideally the hood on a zoom lens should move in and out as the focal length changes.

16. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Maybe they want their camera, lens & hood to match their tuxedo ! :rofl::rofl:

17. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    Great info, Oly does offer a hood, the LH-40b which is probably measured exactly the way you describe...

Olympus - LH-40B

18. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    +1

19. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yeah, that looks like a more reasonable length. A flower-petal or rectangular design would be even better but those are more expensive to tool.

20. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Something I was wondering... if you're using a body with a multi-aspect sensor like the GH2, how do you ensure that the hood won't be fine on one setting, but vignette on another?