Just got my GX1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by cyclelife, Feb 10, 2012.

1. cyclelife

cyclelife Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 9, 2012
    Oakham, Rutland. UK
    Arrived this morning :cool:

Was wondering which format you are all using 3:2 16:9 etc?
    Does this setting alter the RAW capture?
    If so what is gained/lost by using each of these settings?

Camera feels great - still got my GF1 and G1 (for now) so all the controls make sense, just need to get out there and fire some shots off:biggrin:

Spare battery and 12v charger on order:2thumbs: as i hear the battery life is short :eek:
  2. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    yes, on panasonic cameras, if you change aspect ratio in camera, it does crop your RAW images accordingly.
    personally, i shoot at 4:3 since it does retain more of your original shot when cropping for various print sizes, so i see it as more flexible.
    but, for landscapes in particular, i really like 3:2 crops.
    congrats on the GX1! it looks to be a great camera.

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    cyclelife, using an aspect other than 4:3 will result in the camera cropping the image. Instead of asking us, however, you could have found this in multiple different ways:
    -Look in your manual, or at the Panasonic website. For example:
    DMC-G3 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global
    Shows that the pixel count is cropped for various images.
    -Take your camera, take a photo in each aspect, and then look at them. If I do this on my G2, I will get a 4:3 image of 4000x3000 pixels, but if I shoot in 16:9, I get a photo of 4000x2248 pixels.
    So, unless you are working in precise framing, you are better off shooting in 4:3 and cropping later, if you so desire.

mzd, you say, "on Panasonic cameras." So, are you implying that on Olympus cameras, it doesn't crop your image? In fact, on nearly EVERY camera, shooting in anything but the native aspect ratio will crop your image. Funny enough, the only two cameras I can think of that DON'T crop your image by altering the aspect ratio are themselves "Panasonic cameras." They have a unique, larger-than-necessary sensor, so shooting in a different aspect just uses different parts of the sensor, instead of cropping your image. This would be the GH1 and GH2.
  4. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    i thought i read that another camera maker (possibly olympus) lets you the revert to the full RAW file when using their bundled image editor regardless of the crop chosen when shooting. i suppose i could be wrong, it was a while ago, but i'm pretty sure i read that somewhere. has anyone else heard of this?
    but yes, with the GH1 and GH2, panasonic gives you the multi-aspect sensor so you do retain more pixels when you change aspect ratios on those cameras.