1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just got my first Lumix, the G5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gsciorio, Nov 19, 2012.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Just wanted to share I got a Lumix G5 in for evaluation. If there is anything you want to see let me know and I'll try to make a video of it and post it here.

My Lumix Kit is

G5
    14-42X pancake
    20 1.7
    25 Leica
    45 Leica

So far the G5 has been a ton of fun to shoot with. It's a different Animal then the OM-D but both are wonderful cameras.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I would be curious to know of your opinion of the usefulness of the so called electronic shutter option on this model. Is it really revolutionary or does it have too many downsides to be truly useful?
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I'm curious to know if your 14-42 X performs better on the G5 with the electronic shutter than on your other camera(s), considering that this lens is prone to blurring with certain shutter speeds. Thanks for offering us the opportunity to give you work :smile:.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Can you compare pf on the G5 vs. the OMD with the PL25?

• Like Like x 1
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Does CAF work on the G5?

• Like Like x 1
  6. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Great feed back everyone. Really appreciate the help. I'll be working on it this week but since its a long holiday weekend here in the states I might not get to it in time.

So far the G5 has been very very cool to use!

7. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    +1 Please

• Like Like x 1
  8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Personally, I like it as an option for discrete shooting. That said, you have to be careful in certain situations and to watch for quick movement in the frame. If you had a fast moving car in your shot, it would come out as distorted, and you can't do stuff like shoot while walking (which you can do with a fast shutter speed normally).

• Like Like x 1
  9. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Interested to see how the G5 compares to OMD in terms of High ISO and Dynamic Range. Thank you much.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    How are the jpegs?

• Like Like x 1
  11. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Thanks everyone! Keep em coming as I want to do a real-world review on the features you need most.

I can say so far I really dig the Lumix G5 jpegs. Very film like. I think the G5 is a quite an under-appreciated camera.

One thing I noticed right away is that the EVF in the G5 seems a bit larger then the OM-D EVF. I can see the EVF much easier when using glasses.

12. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    Congrats on the new camera... I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts... I decided to go with the G5 over the OM-D as well.

This point is only based on downloading files from the webz, but viewing the same file as both a RAW and JPEG, they are very different. The RAW holds much more detail.

Interesting, I found the same thing myself. The viewfinder on the G5 is quite nice.

• Like Like x 1
  13. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I already know it has good image quality. What's important to me is functionality, i.e. how it handles, button placement, etc. Any comments with your experience in this regard are greatly appreciated.

I really love using my G2 and still am waiting for a proper replacement, but the G5 seems close enough.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    G5 no purple fringe,no IS.

OMD, purple fringe but has IS. OMD gets crazy colors sometimes when shooting in the dark but IS still holds. Haven't tried G-5 in real dark conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  15. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    If you like the g2 you'll probably love the g5. Gets the nice practical features of the g1/2 with a bunch of upgrades (new sensor, better grip, touchscreen). Not lusted after like the omd, but its a camera that is very hard to find something to complain about..

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 2
  16. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I'll be able to dig in more over the weekend but so far the handling has been very nice. It's more comfortable then my OMD but its not as stylish as the OMD.

• Like Like x 1
  17. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    So far awesome. I'm going to retest again over the weekend then start posting the info online next week.

I did a test yesterday and what I found is that while the OMD underexposes by 1/3 stop to save highlights it does this at the expense of shadow detail. The G5 has more accurate exposure but it is more likely to clip highlights.

As you know both cameras can be adjusted to meter as you prefer.

Picture quality is on par with the OM-D and video quality is superior to the OMD.

Here's a video I quickly shot with the G5. If you want to see the unedited stills head over to Small Camera Big Picture

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j-TfK2Za4GY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 1
  18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    There is an 'S' curve menu thing in the OM-D to adjust for shadows in camera.

G

19. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Thats one of my favorite features to come along in a camera in years. Makes tweaking jpegs fast and easy. My first test is strictly on default settings.

20. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Cool thanks guys. I look forward to some final impressions.

Yeah the OMD does get all the chicks... lol. I heard Panasonic cancelled the color variants of the G5 for the United States. I wonder why? The silver and white they showed off looks more stylish than that black blob of a camera.