1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Just got my EP2 and feel like hooking up

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by blackSP, Apr 9, 2010.

1. blackSP

blackSP Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Hi all, after weeks of going back and forth between the Panasonic and Olympus I decided to cut the crap and accept the lower resolution lcd and slower autofocus and here I am. With the 14-42 kit lens and the 20mm Panasonic pancake coming asap.

Running into my first problem.
    I'm a Linux (Ubuntu) user and how on earth am I going to update the firmware as the crappy Camera Updater runs fine under Wine but doesn't see the camera! Damn!!!

2. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Welcome....you'll find a nice bunch of folks here.

Question....I am an E-P2 user.....I wasn't aware there WAS a firmware update for the camera. Still chugging along at Ver 1.0.

Regards.....R

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome blackSP, and yes Rich you're right... the E-P2 is still at rev 1.0. Do you know anyone who uses a PC or Mac blackSP?

Cheers

Brian

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Glad to have you and congratulations on your camera decision!

I hope you can get your computer concerns sorted out. I see you have another thread going on it, so fingers crossed for your solution!

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome - this is a great place for help and advice - hope your question gets answered.

6. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome ! Congrats on your camera. Unfortunately I don't know how to solve your software problem, I'm sure other members will advice how to.

7. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I'm a linux user too an ran into the very same problem. No solution. I needed to dig out a true winXP image from the back of beyond to perform firmware updates. :mad: I know there's a standalone firmware updater (split from master 2) that can be downloaded from olympus website, I don't know if it works with wine either, learned it too late, after I finally performed my upgrades.

But hey, at least the e-p?? line uses SD-HC cards !! :tongue:

On a positive note however, libkdcraw handles e-p1/2 ORF files just fine, and all KDE4 applications built on kippi-plugins benefit from this : dngconverter, digikam (and sidekick showfoto [Lightroom-like raw processor]), krita, etc. This means you can have a successful 16 bits, colour managed (via lcms), geometry-corrected, and colour-profiled unbroken processing path under linux. :2thumbs:

8. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Welcome!