Just got my EP2 and feel like hooking up

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by blackSP, Apr 9, 2010.

1. blackSP

blackSP Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    Hi all, after weeks of going back and forth between the Panasonic and Olympus I decided to cut the crap and accept the lower resolution lcd and slower autofocus and here I am. With the 14-42 kit lens and the 20mm Panasonic pancake coming asap.

Running into my first problem.
    I'm a Linux (Ubuntu) user and how on earth am I going to update the firmware as the crappy Camera Updater runs fine under Wine but doesn't see the camera! Damn!!!
  2. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Welcome....you'll find a nice bunch of folks here.

Question....I am an E-P2 user.....I wasn't aware there WAS a firmware update for the camera. Still chugging along at Ver 1.0.

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome blackSP, and yes Rich you're right... the E-P2 is still at rev 1.0. Do you know anyone who uses a PC or Mac blackSP?

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Glad to have you and congratulations on your camera decision!

I hope you can get your computer concerns sorted out. I see you have another thread going on it, so fingers crossed for your solution!
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome - this is a great place for help and advice - hope your question gets answered.
  6. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome ! Congrats on your camera. Unfortunately I don't know how to solve your software problem, I'm sure other members will advice how to.
  7. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I'm a linux user too an ran into the very same problem. No solution. I needed to dig out a true winXP image from the back of beyond to perform firmware updates. :mad: I know there's a standalone firmware updater (split from master 2) that can be downloaded from olympus website, I don't know if it works with wine either, learned it too late, after I finally performed my upgrades.

But hey, at least the e-p?? line uses SD-HC cards !! :tongue:

On a positive note however, libkdcraw handles e-p1/2 ORF files just fine, and all KDE4 applications built on kippi-plugins benefit from this : dngconverter, digikam (and sidekick showfoto [Lightroom-like raw processor]), krita, etc. This means you can have a successful 16 bits, colour managed (via lcms), geometry-corrected, and colour-profiled unbroken processing path under linux. :2thumbs:
  8. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran