Just got my E-M10 (again)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by theoldsmithy, Jun 10, 2015.

1. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Hereford, UK
    Martin Connolly
    Hi everyone, my second E-M10 has just arrived. (Olympus were taking ages to repair the battery cover, amazingly, so the dealer sent me a replacement).
    Looking forward to trying this out this weekend - I'm taking the Panasonic 12-32 which looks really neat, I hope the images are as good as it looks. I'll be posting stuff next week with a bit of luck!
  2. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Can you explain what happened to the battery door on your E-M10? Since I do image transfers by removing the SD card, which means that the battery door is opened and closed at least once every day and more if the battery requires replacement, I have some concerns about the battery door assembly which seems a bit fragile for such a well built camera.
  3. theoldsmithy

Mar 19, 2013
    Hereford, UK
    Martin Connolly
    Hi, well all I can say is that the door fell off! I certainly didn't force it or anything, but I can say that on this second one the door assembly feels a bit more robust. The first one just seemed to flap open but the new one has a stiffer feeling hinge.
  4. ttomino1980

ttomino1980 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2014
    as i use a grip i never noticed em10 has fragile battery door
  5. Yelkrub

Yelkrub Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2013
    Cheshire, U.K.
    The battery door on my EM10 flipped off and gave me that "Aaaaaggghh" moment, but just clipped back into place.
    I was thinking it may be designed to do that but maybe I was just lucky.
    I'm not exactly rough with these things but it's in my mind whenever I change the battery now.
  6. theoldsmithy

Mar 19, 2013
    Hereford, UK
    Martin Connolly
    Mine snapped rather than flipped - there was no way of getting it back on. Plus the loose shard of plastic jammed the SD card slot!
  7. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    On my E-M10 #1 the door came completely off, but I put it back on. It has no spring though. E-M10 #2 has spring resistance to closing.
  8. jeffbet

jeffbet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    Just bought my E-M10 last month. My first impression of the battery door was that it was fragile. Mine has no spring. Hope I don't have any issues, but so far, so good. Otherwise, love the camera.
  9. gobeatty

gobeatty Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2014
    FWIW, the door on my 6D is exactly designed to do this! It will pop off before breaking and re-attach easily. Brilliant design, IMHO. Hope the Oly is the same. I have an EM-10 but didn't want to break it to see if the door had this feature.
  10. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    Agreed, this sort of design where it pops off instead of breaking (or bending and putting stress on other parts) makes sense. But I believe it is also made this way to accommodate the battery grip, where you take off the battery door and attach it to inside of the battery grip and then slide it in. At least that was the case with the other Canon DSLR's I've used.