1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just got me another M/43 body (G1)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by deckitout, Mar 31, 2010.

1. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Well I have almost bought a G1 on two other occasions, the last time I even got it home but decided to return it as I felt I was in gear lust.

What made me bite the bullet this time was shooting with the the EP2 last weekend using only the EVF, it is most satisfying being able to use the EVF any weather nice and bright, full histogram info etc and not having to take my glasses off.

The G1 gives me an SLR type body, usuability with my current 4/3 lenses and Metz AF58, it will work alongside the EP2...... both great EVF's

and at £380 with rebate with kit lens....bargain

2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Do you plan on using the G1 in studio Phil, or just for fun? That's some fairly advanced light and technique exhibited in your gallery shots. If you are doing that with off camera lighting as your first source of inspiration, all as part of a micro 4/3rds format, I would be interested in hearing about it.

I am building up a portable field system involving gelled/diffused/snoot focused Panasonic flash heads used off camera and triggered with the G1. Nothing TTL... just trial by fire. Haven't run it yet, but will begin experimenting soon once all is assembled.

I do worry it may be underpowered, but we shall soon see. Nothing like Metz horsepower. I just need backpack small, so had to compromise

Bokeh?

3. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I am still looking for a G1 body only, and for express use as a lightweight alternative for my fashion location work.

My issue is that damm 1/160s maximum sync speed once I put on a trigger on the hotshoe :(

Oh I have no issues using only speedlights for all but the largest fashion shoots...I just have yet to be convinced that the current m/43 system (cameras) is good enough due to the sync speed limitations.

4. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    New G1 body only is now becoming available from dealers, recently purchased one from www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk for £299.00.

5. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    I would happily use the G1 in the studio, the EP2 would be more challenging regarding focussing. Most of my Studio shots were taken with a D700 and 70/200, pretty shallow DOF so the focussing was critical, D700 focus is top notch for that, crosshair on the eye every time.

I have also got lots of Nikon SB flashes with I can use outside with triggers, again the G1 will work better than the EP2 due to EVF and hotshoe availability, also you can put the focus almost anywhere, my focus at present is on portability hence the G1. I have bought into the Honl equipment, snoots/grids/gels pretty trick kit although not used yet.

If I require quick focus and fast glass I have the E3 along with 12/60 and 50/200 but it is still a heavyweight kit.

So I feel I am just about covered for most eventualities now

6. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    I tested out my E3 with HSS and the Metz AF58 it seemed to give out reasonable power at higher shutter speeds, that was using it wirelessly, so if I want a light DSLR I can go E620 (which I nearly did) which is wireless as well

With the G1 that 1/160 is bit of a bummer and no wireless like the Oly's, I can't believe with all the advancement in tech these days that manufacturers can't give us good flash sync speeds

7. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Yep its the killer to me unfortunately.

The wife has a D40 and I am pretty sure that can sync up to 1/4000 (its the hidden gem of some of these "Toy DSLRs".