Just got black OM-D with 12-50 lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by shootingrubber, May 4, 2012.

1. shootingrubber

shootingrubber New to Mu-43

Apr 28, 2012
    I just got my black OM-D E-M5 with the 12-50 kit lens along with FL-300R flash (only because of the rebate). Let me start this by saying I have never been this excited about a camera, not even when I got my D7000.

First, the camera is MUCH smaller than what I had anticipated, which is a good thing, as I wanted a small camera. The 12-50 lens is MUCH smaller than I anticipated, which again, is a good thing, for me anyways. I wanted a small camera and this camera definitely succeeds in that department.

Next, the buttons on the camera are completely fine with me, I am not really sure what people are complaining about to be honest, yes they are a little squishy, but I am not quite sure what the problem is on that front. Also, the EVF was surprising for me, as I hadn't expected it to be as good as it was. In low light the thing is very good, very little noise, and when the FPS of the EVF is set to "high", there is no issue of jumpiness / lag when panning with the camera, absolutely none.

The menu system on the camera is complex, yes, but it is fantastic in the sense of the amount of customizability, and if you're buying a high end m43 camera like the OM-D, then that is what you want, well at least for me anyways, I don't want a dumb downed menu system. I want a menu system that allows for ample customization and the OM-D definitely flourishes there.

The focus on the E-M5 is ridiculously fast... I am completely serious here, it is ridiculously fast. I know Olympus said it was the fastest in the entire world (I never believe marketing like that from manufacturers), and there was a lot of praise on the forums for its autofocus speed, but I needed to see it for myself. I was in a completely dark room with no lights on (actually the power was out), only lit by a couple of candles, and the thing locked focus nearly instantly. I honestly couldn't believe it.

Finally, the never ending debate on the "hum" the camera produces. If that is the hum that people are seriously complaining about then I don't know what to say. In all honestly the humming is barely noticeable. I was in the camera store with nobody else in it except for me and the workers, and I couldn't hear it at all. I only notice it when the camera is put up to my ear. When shooting it is inaudible for all practical shooting situations and purposes.

If you are considering getting this camera, then I can say, with almost complete certainty, that you will not regret your purchase. It is truly a fantastic camera, and with the current rebate being offered right now, you can, effectively, get a free accessory.

Great great camera, I have never been this excited about a camera.
  2. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I've had mine for a week. The longer you own it the more you like it. Each day brings new revelations. Like today I was out shooting on a mostly cloudy day with my E-M5 and E-PL1. I was experimenting with different custom white balance settings. But then when I got home and viewed the test images from both cameras on the computer, I inadvertently noticed a major difference in the dynamic range of the two cameras. The E-M5 was able to expose the bright clouds in the sky and the ground pretty evenly whereas the E-PL1 overexposed the cloudy sky and underexposed the ground.