just got an omd, setting up woes

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kaitanium, Jul 25, 2012.

1. kaitanium

kaitanium Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    ive been reading the instructions to no avail. maybe im missing something. there are a couple things that perhaps someone can help me out here. i want to be able to set this up to perform like my canon 5d2 if possible

1. how do i set up back button focus? preferably on the Fn1 button? i just want the shutter button to lock exposure and fire just like how i have it on my full sized slrs.

2. is there any way to get rid of all those icons in the viewfinder? all i want is the lightmeter, aperture and shutter.

3. another viewfinder question, is there a way to keep it from brightening up in dark areas? i just want a what i see is what i get just like on a standard mirrored camera.

and what is that whirrling sound when i turn on the cam?

thanks all! what a great camera so far though. im glad to be here and have found this forum also!

2. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Took me 3 months of menus/asking questions to get my EP3 work like I want it to. Took 10 minutes with my Nikon D7000. :)

3. kaitanium

kaitanium Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    oo answered my own #2 question. that was called EVF. nice

yea i just want a simple large slr replacement camera. i guess the omd was more complicated than i though lol. waaaaay to many acronyms.

4. kaitanium

kaitanium Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    wow im just answering my own questions here. i guess ill post and answer for future peoples reference.

1. go to the gears menu > AF mode > set your preference, i have s-af + mf
    2. same gears menu > AF/MF > set AEL/AFL > S-AF to mode 3 (i dont have C-AF set in step 1 so im not worried about that)
    3. Fn1 button must be set to AEL/AFL (under the gears icon menu > button dial > button function

5. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    It gets much easier with time & use. Give it some. You might find you actually like how it's set up.

6. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I know just what you want to do. This is similar to how I often use the camera, especially where I only need to focus once and shoot many. Problem is I do not have an EM5. But my guess is that it will be very similar to my EPL-2 and EP-3. if this does not work, I'll take a look at the manual.

To set it more or less permanently as I think you want,

1. Set Gears => AF/MF => AF Mode to: MF
    2. Set Gears => Button/Dial => Button Functions => Fn1 = AEL/AFL
    3. Set Gears => AEL/AFL => MF to Mode 3

This will make Fn1 the focus button as requested and Half-press will activate AEL with full press activating exposure.

I also set up to do this at will by doing the following:

1. Set Fn1 to AEL/AFL
    2. Set the "big red button" Function to MF
    3. Set Gears => AEL/AFL => MF to Mode 3

In this case, note that AF Mode is set to S-AF or whatever I like as my default, but not MF. When I want to switch to your configuration I press the big red button and am now in MF. Since AEL/AFl is set to be the focus button when in MF, viola, I can easily toggle into this mode from AF mode. I find this is the best of both worlds, but that's because I usually default to AF but like a quick and easy way to switch over.

Finally, if you like the flexibility that the second option affords, but you want MF to be the default, set all your params, including pressing the big red button to put it in MF mode, then save it to a MySet. That Myselt will always start with the MF button toggled and all you need to do to go to the AF mode is hit the big red button.

Honestly, I find Oly menus and functions, while deep, to be really very well designed in most cases.

Let me know if this works.

Seaain

• Like Like x 1
  7. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
  8. kaitanium

kaitanium Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    wait, so setting the focus to MF will still give me AF when i press down the selected Fn button?

now i have my red button set as multi function but it doesnt seem to be really all that multi function as when i press it, it only allows me to change highlights.

9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Don't know how I missed this message earlier.

The E-M5 is more customisable than ANY dSLR, and I'm thankful for that. You can change what's shown in the viewfinder, you can change the appearance of the viewfinder...CAN'T do that with a normal dSLR.

There is a thread on how to set up the OM-D further down that should answer all your questions and give you lts of advice ad answers to all of your questions:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f42/how-set-up-om-d-29972/

I will answer that the hissing sound you hear is the In Body Iage Stabilization, or IBIS. It's the question most asked by new E-M5 users, and been asked here several times already. It's NORMAL. It also sounds when you switch IBIS off, because it still has to hold the sensor centre (without it, the sensor will fall in te direction of gravity, which is that clunk you hear when you turn off the power). IBIS makes less noise in movie mode because that uses IS differently.

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

11. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    When looking through the viewfinder, press the INFO button a few times until the display is the way you like it. Personally I prefer having the EVF in mode 1 or 2, depending on whether it's day or night.

BTW, you said you just got the camera...you have to give yourself time to get used to it. I've had mine three months, and only last night I tried the live tie & bulb modes for the first time. There's just so many features even I've never had before, and I'd been shooting digital for 10 years now.

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
  13. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    To switch between the various multi-functions you turn the back wheel while holding the assigned fn button, in your case the red button.

It's set up like that so you don't have to choose each time you want to use the same function again. I really only ever use it for magnify, so it always defaults to that once I chose it with the wheel while holding multi-function.

I think the camera is definitely worth the time to get used to it from a Canon SLR.

Regarding the EVF, do what the DPR guide says: leave the "frame rate" on normal instead of high.

14. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Having all these settings is silly. It's like having a car that has 46 separate automatic seat positions. The fact that they can put all this cr@p in cameras doesn't mean they should. It's not a feature; it's marketing.

At least the Nikon DSLR setup, for example, has any setting that I normally use easily available as a button - there is no need to ever go into a menu other than for your own curiosity. People rave about the "super menu" on the OLYs; I find it a PITA. I have to go in there to make the 2-3 typical changes I DO frequently make. On the Nikon, those critical settings are buttons - MUCH easier and faster.

IMO, the Olys operating system/characterictics are designed by computer nerds; not by photographers.

That DOESN"T mean I don't like the camera but I refuse to happily accept their decisions (so far) re regularly used controls and ease of use.

15. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I can respect your opinion, but a lot of it depends on how you use it / have it configured, I'd like to understand your setup. I agree that the initial setup is much more complex than on Canon/Nikon.

I have these two questions for:
    1. Do you use an OM-D or a PEN?
    2. Are you aware that once you're in SCP (pressing OK) you're able to go between settings with one wheel and adjust the value with the other directly? The first few days until I realized that it was much slower adjusting values.

The only PITA setting is AEB, since it's not an option in the drive settings. What settings that you use all the time can you not set as one of the arrow keys or fn keys for 1 button access?

16. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    To see the effects of exposure settings in the viewfinder or on the screen....

Gears:Display/PC > Live View Boost = OFF

From the manual: (If [On] is selected, priority will be given to making images clearly visible; the effects exposure compensation and other settings will not be visible in the monitor.

17. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    "I have these two questions for:
    1. Do you use an OM-D or a PEN?
    2. Are you aware that once you're in SCP (pressing OK) you're able to go between settings with one wheel and adjust the value with the other directly?"

1 EP3
    2 Yes, but the process itself is more "work" than it was on the Nikons to do the same thing.

I readily admit that the only items that I change on a regular basis are:

1. metering mode - I have found that I have to change the EP3 metering regularly to get the exposure I want where on the Nikons I almost always left it on center-weighted. On the Oly I am often going from center to spot and back. I have never found matrix metering in any camera to work satisfactorily for me.

2 ISO - normally on 200 but sometimes bumped up manually when I want it bumped up; auto is not workable for me.

3. flash adjustment - the oly auto mode is very erratic even well within the range limit of the little flash. Nikon SLRs somehow just do flash flawlessly with no drama.

I normally shoot in the aperture mode but sometimes go to P or to auto if I'm handing the camera to someone else to take a pic.

FWIW, I just recently quit shooting in Raw, having found that I can't really do any better in post processing (which I hate anyway) than the Oly Jpegs. That wasn't true with the Nikons so there's a big "pro" for the Oly as far as I am concerned.

Note - by talking "Nikons" it is because that is what I used; I have no DSLR experience with Canons.

18. kaitanium

kaitanium Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    this thread is gold! plus those articles. awesome. the omd is way complex and i appreciate all the customization options.

19. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    I found many of the defaults just fine and was very pleased to find the rest customizable.

I think Olympus has found a good balance on its customization options. Rather than forcing people to adapt to some brand's locked-down UI, it offers many alternatives for people to fit the camera to their favorite usage, instead of the other way around.

20. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Yes if set as oulined! At least this is the way my EP-xx work, and I have to hope this is still the case with the EM-5.

From your message you seemed to want to move AF off the shutter button to the button on the back. This is how I did it.

woof!