1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just got an E-PL5 and... charging error? :(

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Agent_K64, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    So I just bought an E-PL5 after taking for ever comparing it side by side with a NEX-6. :) I've had high hopes for it, but...

I put the battery in the charger about 2 hours ago, it seemed to be charging fine. But then I looked at the charger not long ago and saw that the light was blinking, indicating a "charging error." After waiting for a bit, the error went away, but it periodically came back a couple times. I tried to re-install the battery into the charger, and it hasn't been misbehaving so far, but I'm still worried.

I can't find any info on this. Is the battery and/or charger defective? Or is it just a hiccup that's sort of normal and a few have experienced? Think it's only doing this because it's charging for the first time?

:confused:

I should note.. because there was no demo unit at hand at the store, the salesperson opened the box I was getting and installed the battery as it came from the box. I am aware that we're supposed to fully charge a battery prior to using it, but do you think this would be a big problem, possibly causing this charging error issue now?

2. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    i dont think installing the battery would cause a charging error, what i would try doing is after it charges to run it down fully, then re-charge it again and see what happens

• Like Like x 1
  3. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    Yep, that's the plan!

I was just curious if anyone has seen something like this before and if it was a one time thing or not.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Wish you resolve your battery issue but congrats on the PL5 acquisition! :smile:

5. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I get blinking error from time to time with BLN-1 batteries. A simple reseating takes care of it for me.

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Any luck yet Agent K64?

7. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    Sorry, I haven't had much free time to mess around with it to drain it yet. I'll update it once I do.

8. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    I've not seen the error with mine - sorry

9. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    Drained the battery after taking the camera on a mini trip downtown today, recharged with no hiccups!

As a side note, I left IS on at all times and none of my pictures have the annoying double image IBIS bug that my E-PM1 had last year (which forced me to return the camera, sadly).

Pretty happy with this camera right now. :D

• Like Like x 2