Just got an E-PL5 and... charging error? :(

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Agent_K64, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    So I just bought an E-PL5 after taking for ever comparing it side by side with a NEX-6. :)  I've had high hopes for it, but...

I put the battery in the charger about 2 hours ago, it seemed to be charging fine. But then I looked at the charger not long ago and saw that the light was blinking, indicating a "charging error." After waiting for a bit, the error went away, but it periodically came back a couple times. I tried to re-install the battery into the charger, and it hasn't been misbehaving so far, but I'm still worried.

I can't find any info on this. Is the battery and/or charger defective? Or is it just a hiccup that's sort of normal and a few have experienced? Think it's only doing this because it's charging for the first time?

:confused: 

I should note.. because there was no demo unit at hand at the store, the salesperson opened the box I was getting and installed the battery as it came from the box. I am aware that we're supposed to fully charge a battery prior to using it, but do you think this would be a big problem, possibly causing this charging error issue now?

2. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    i dont think installing the battery would cause a charging error, what i would try doing is after it charges to run it down fully, then re-charge it again and see what happens

• Like Like x 1
  3. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    Yep, that's the plan!

I was just curious if anyone has seen something like this before and if it was a one time thing or not.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Wish you resolve your battery issue but congrats on the PL5 acquisition! :smile:

5. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I get blinking error from time to time with BLN-1 batteries. A simple reseating takes care of it for me.

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Any luck yet Agent K64?

7. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    Sorry, I haven't had much free time to mess around with it to drain it yet. I'll update it once I do.

8. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    I've not seen the error with mine - sorry

9. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    Drained the battery after taking the camera on a mini trip downtown today, recharged with no hiccups!

As a side note, I left IS on at all times and none of my pictures have the annoying double image IBIS bug that my E-PM1 had last year (which forced me to return the camera, sadly).

Pretty happy with this camera right now. :D 

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.